chapter 8: coffeeless

Jackson quickly runs over to me and grabs my hands, "Scarlet!"

Jackson takes my hands and walks me over to the faucet and turns on the cold water. I cringe as the cold water hits my heated hands.

"What were you thinking about that had all of your attention consumed?" he asked, worried.

"I- nothing," I said and tried to pull my hands away from the cold water.

Jackson sighs and pulls my hands back, "this is helping your burns. Stop backing away."

I nodded and let him do his thing.

"There isn't a burn on your left hand and your right hand is only burned a little," He says as he's looking at my hands, "It should heal quickly."

My eyes shift from my hand to his face: he looks so worried, and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't cute. I think him being all worried and sweet makes him a lot hotter.

"Let me get you some ice," he says as he lets go of my hand and walks to the freezer.

Jackson fills up a ziplock bag with ice and brings it to my hand, "hold onto this, okay? It'll help with the pain."

I take the bag and smile, "thanks, Jackson."

"For what?" he asks as if he didn't do anything.

"For letting me stay here, for giving me a job, and now helping me with this burn," I say. I really am thankful for him. Jackson isn't an asshole.

He smiles, "you're welcome. You should sit down, I'll finish up the pasta."

I went and sat down at the where Jackson had sat, and watched him finish off the dish and plate it. He paces a plate in front of me and another one next to it for himself.

"You want you can take tomorrow off?" he asks, "I wouldn't mind if you'd like to rest your hand."

"It's just a burn," I softly chuckle, "I can handle it."

"I like your dedication," he said.

I smiled.

After eating, Jackson thanked me for cooking for him. That made me smile even more.

I went into my room and started to look through my clothes. I needed to make a good impression on Jackson and the reset of the staff. Finally, I found an outfit fit for a first day: a white blouse with a black pencil skirt paired with black heels. Basic, but it's basic because it's good.