chapter 22: helpless

a little triggering, be careful.
——————————

My mother and I watched Jackson walk upstairs with his head hanging down

My mother and I watched Jackson walk upstairs with his head hanging down. Damn, I didn't think I'd feel so bad. But was I really in the wrong here? Jackson is acting like I made out with Christopher. Sigh, he's so-- territorial.

"You should go as him if he's alright," My mother says, patting my back.

I take a deep breath, "He doesn't like anyone bothering him when he's sick." It's a lie but it's the best way to save myself from facing Jackson at the moment. He's going to be moody, and I just want him to calm down.

"You should still get to bed," She adds, "I still have to clean up."

"You can go to bed, I'll clean up," I smile. One, It'd help my mother, and two, It'll keep me away from Jackson.

My mother smiles, "Thanks, Carly. I actually need a break. Wait, your father called earlier, he wanted me to tell you that he already delivered your car at Jackson's house."

"Why didn't he just call me?" I ask, confused.

My mother sighs, "You know your father and his pride. He's upset you didn't tell him about Jackson."

I sigh and roll my eyes, "It's not a big deal."

My mother shrug. Then gives me a hug and walks upstairs.

I walk over to the dining room and begin clearing the table. Cleaning is very therapeutic for me. I love seeing everything become spotless. Also, while I'm cleaning, there's nothing on my mind.

After cleaning, washing the dishes, and storing all leftovers into the refrigerator, I sit down on the couch, my mind still empty and calm. So calm that I find myself asleep in seconds.

My eyes open and I'm sitting in the basement of this house, which belonged to my late brother. I look at my left and freeze - Nathan. My brother is sitting down next to me. I feel my heart beginning to pace. This is my brother... my brother who died years ago. His dark hair messy as always, and he's still wearing his sweatpants and a sweatshirt.

"Surprised?" He asks, chuckling.

"Gobsmacked," I answer, "I thought you were-"

"Dead?" He finishes.

I take a deep breath. It's painful to hear him say dead. I pull him into a hug, "it's been so long, Nate."

Nathan hugs me back, "I know, Carly. I miss you, mom, and dad so much." He pulls back, "Are they mad at me?"

I look down, "I don't think they got the chance. You... before they found out."

Nathan sighs and stops eye contact. I see his eyes watering up., "Enough about that." He wipes his eyes and looks back at me with a smile, "I see you've got a boyfriend."