chapter 14: expressionless

We were standing in silence

We were standing in silence. I could feel the tenseness in the elevator.

"Jackson..." I mumble, quietly— so quietly that I couldn't even hear myself.

"We'll talk about this later," He answers, coldly. Talk? We're just going to talk? That doesn't seem like him.

The elevator dings and we're on our floor. Jackson steps out and heads towards our office. Quietly and quickly, I follow. We get in our office and take our seats.

"Please get me a coffee," Jackson says quietly, "Black. No sugar."

I already knew his order, but he decided to say it anyway, as if I hadn't been getting him his coffee for the last week. I walk out to get his highness some coffee.

As I walked towards the coffee machine, I saw Bryce. I quickly walked up to him, "Bryce— hey."

He looks up, "Oh, hi."

"I'm sorry for what happened. I didn't even know there was a ball. Jackson never told be, and he never asked me to go with him—" I ramble on, but am stopped by Bryce.

"I'm not mad," he chuckles, "You didn't do anything wrong. And for Jackson, I don't care about what he does. I work under Mr. Vanderbilt not him."

"What do you mean?" I ask. If he doesn't work for Jackson then why doesn't he just leave.

"You could say I'm Mr. Vanderbilt's right hand man," Bryce says, "I just stay here and make sure the business and building are to his liking."

"Oh, ok," I say, "Are you sure you're not mad?"

"Of course I'm not," He reassures, and walks out.

I quickly make Jackson's coffee and hurry back. I don't want him to get all mad again.

I place the coffee on his desk and scurry back to my desk. My computer turns on as quickly as I blink my eyes. I take a look at Jackson's schedule and see that it was empty after one pm.

That's odd. Jackson is hardly available for an hour.

★ ★ ★

Around twelve-thirty, I turn to see Jackson packing his stuff, "Are you leaving?" I ask.

"We're leaving," He says, simply without anymore context. I don't ask any questions and just do what I'm told.

Jackson and I walk out of the building and to his car. About cars— when do I get mine back? That's only for my dad to know. I guess I'll ask him later.

After a thirty-ish minute ride we get to this extravagant store. It had beautiful dresses. I couldn't even imagine the cost of them.

The store was empty except for a lady at the counter in her phone with her headphones on.