"The Isle..." Part IX...

"The Isle..."

PG 13

Summary: What "Riverdale" did to "Archie and Jughead" and "Betty and Veronica", I'm doin' to "Gilligan's Isle" ...

Disclaimer: All characters of Gilligan's Isle remain property of that series...Any resemblance of fictional characters to those living or dead is purely coincidental...

Part IX...

"I think it was this way..." The Professor noted as he and Ginger moved down the trail of sorts, mostly just matted grasses by repeated traverses, to Steve's, or rather Karen's, latrine.

"Lovely..." she sighed. "I think I might be better off just finding my own spot out here."

"We'll need to see if it's sanitary enough for at least nine people. And that latrine could include running water..." the Professor pointed out. "We'll need a source of fresh water soon."

"Fine...Lets explore." she grimaced, then eyed him as they resumed walking.

"You don't think much of me, do you, Professor?" Ginger asked, suddenly. "I don't mean because we don't know each other outside being nearly drowned together the last three days..." wan smile as the Professor pushed branches back from some trees to clear the way for her. She eyeing him carefully as he stood, stooping slightly for some low branches.

A good-looking man in fine shape for a fortyish professor but...Something's wrong...

Too pale, too exhausted...

Too uninterested...Well, lets not let ego get in the way, here, Grant.

But something's wrong with him...Both physically and spiritually, he's exhausted...But in a hurry. A man too impatient from that exhaustion to waste time with a silly fool...

Like me.

"I don't really think about you, Miss Grant."

"No, I suppose you don't." wan smile. "Which in itself is a surprise for me...But when you do, you don't think very well of me."

"No. I believe in being honest, miss. No, I don't think very well of you. Sorry, it may be unfair."

"Maybe, maybe not. But may I ask why?"

"Certainly. May I first ask, what led you to think that I didn't think well of you?"

Ginger, sly smile. "I'm an actress and not quite as dumb as I look...I actually do have a degree in psychology. You didn't care for me on the boat, during the trip or the storm...Understandable, I was whining from the get-go like a true movie star and I only get worse when scared to death, of death. And you were testing me back there, just now. I saw it in your look. When you told everyone I had to pee, you were testing my reaction. I failed that test, didn't I?"

"Perhaps...Sorry. To be frank, I felt the need to evaluate all the people here, since we're likely to be castaways here for a while."

"Gilligan passed..." she smiled. "You didn't even object when the Skipper sent him out alone."

"He's young and perhaps a bit clumsy, but he was quite the hero during the storms. Though I get the feeling he's far more capable than he allows himself. But, yes, he passed."

"I agree...An impressive kid in his way. More there than meets the eye. Now of course the Skipper passed."

"Unquestionably. He had no way to know that storm was coming and he took all the right actions. His knowledge of these waters and his ship handling through the shoals saved our lives." nod.

"I won't bother with Fred Crumpt..." smile, returned. "Our religious freak, Mary? She passed, didn't she?"

"She's obsessed and been indoctrinated all her life but she's been practical and adaptable. She has survival skills that are useful. We could do worse and I think she's capable of improving over time, away from her environs. This way... I believe I see the clearing that fellow mentioned."