iii. mistaking strength for weakness

CHAPTER THREE!

MISTAKING STRENGTH FOR WEAKNESS

THE TWO DISTRICT TWELVE VICTORS sit in the small room as their mentor holds the television remote in his hand, ready to show off who their opponents will be. As the tv switches on, the two teenagers watch intently so they know what they will be coming up against in this year's games — it is going to be a lot different from last year.

"Cashmere and Gloss, brother and sister, District 1. They won back to back games. Capitol favorites. Lots of sponsors. They will be lethal," Haymitch says as he looks at the brother - sister duo on the screen.

He's quick to switch the screen in order to show them the other career members. "And the other half of the career pack? Brutus and Enobaria,"

"What's with her teeth?" Katniss asks as she looks at the woman, her teeth sharpened to a point.

"She had them filed into fangs so she could rip people's throats out," Haymitch shrugs as if it isn't that big of a deal, the two teens jumping a little when the woman hisses.

"She's committed I'll give her that," Peeta mumbles as he looks at the eccentric woman.

"Wiress and Beetee. Not fighters but brilliant and weird. Real tech savvy. He won his games by electrocuting six tributes at once," Haymitch explains as the footage switches over to two older victors. "The Morphlings. Masters of camouflage. Basically won their games by hiding until everyone else was dead. Self medicating ever since, which I applaud. Not a threat," He continues about the District six tributes.

When the screen switches over again, they are met with the somewhat confident face of Finnick Odair from District four who Katniss seemingly recognised instantly.

"Finnick Odair, right?" The girl asks as she watches him wave to the crowd before him, his eyes swaying to his left for a moment, obviously over towards where their female tributes are standing.

"Yes, he won his games at fourteen. Youngest ever. Extremely humble," Haymitch comments and Katniss scoffs is response.

"You're kidding?"

"Yes, I'm kidding. He's a peacock, a total preener. But he's the Capitol darling, they love him here. Charming, smart and very skilled in combat, especially in water,"

"What about weaknesses?" Peeta finally pipes up as he looks to his mentor who then presses a button on his remote. The screen switches over to an image of a blonde girl, who cannot be any older than them, crying as she makes her way over to Finnick. Both of them notice how Finnick's hand is quick to grab hers.

"One, Elena Rogers," Haymitch says to the teenagers.

"I remember her. She won it the year before us," Katniss comments to Peeta who nods his head slightly, memories of the girl's games coming back to the both of them.