xxvii. coping

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN!

COPING.

"Snow. Snow. Snow. I'm going to kill Snow,"

Jace looks over at his sister with a worried expression plastered over his face. Never had he seen her like this, so inconsolable or so insistent on getting revenge. It's not his sister, this behaviour is not her and he fears it will spiral into something much worse. Unfortunately the only other person who would know how to console her is gone. Finnick is not here to help him take care of her anymore.

Katniss and Gale have raided the closet of a woman's home which they'd stormed into. Fortunately for Elena, she hadn't witnessed Katniss murder the homeowner because it probably would have set her off even more. Some clothes are dumped before her and she slowly changes into them, disguising herself with makeup and sunglasses.

As she does so, her mind has Finnick on a constant loop. Memories that the two of them have shared run through her mind over and over as she tries her hardest to remember him, afraid that the moment she stops she will forget about him completely.

Jace grabs some extra supplies for his little sister, knowing that her mind is anywhere but the present. He also notices the blonde boy from District Twelve is hovering around her, almost as if he is trying to decide the best way to approach her. He can't seem to find the answer and unfortunately for Peeta, Jace doesn't know either.

The older Rogers sibling holds the hand of the younger and carefully guides her out of the home and through the streets. Katniss and Cressida discuss where to go ahead of them, their voices in whispers. Elena looks about and manages to catch a glimpse of Finnick's face through somebody's window — the Capitol obviously are unaware of who they killed with their attack.

"Tigris," Cressida speaks as they arrive at a storefront. "We need your help. Plutarch said you could be trusted,"

The woman moves about and then gestures for the group to follow her. Elena finds herself looking back to the window she'd seen earlier, desperately hoping to catch another look at her dead mentor. She can only imagine the photos are on a rotation that doesn't stop, engraving their faces into the minds of the Capitol people so they'd remember them - so they can turn them in if they see them.

The trail after her until a safer spot is found where they can all rest. Elena stumbles over to a corner where she practically collapses, leaning against the wall and closing her eyes.

"When this is all said and done, I hope we can move back to District Four and continue on with our lives. I'd love to raise a family there, you know? Teach them to swim and fish - maybe Aunty Elena could even teach them to read. I know how much you love that,"

"You've got to keep them clean, otherwise the infection could spread-"

Katniss' voice breaks her thoughts of a conversation that happened only hours earlier. Elena looks over to Katniss and Peeta speaking amongst themselves and she cannot help but feel a burst of anger as she sees the girl. She let him die - Katniss had killed him.