vii. light blue

CHAPTER SEVEN!

LIGHT BLUE.

WHILST ORANGE HAD ONCE BEEN THE COLOUR that she absolutely adored, she has always had a soft spot for blue. There are so many shades, some more beautiful than others, and that's why when she was approached by her stylist with a light blue dress, she was actually happy. It's a longer dress, one that is practically dragging along the floor, she hopes she doesn't dirty it as she's walking.

Ruby smiles at the tribute, fixing up her hair so it's not sticking out everywhere. She has a few pretty hair pins in, pulling back the left side of her hair slightly. They're silver with small blue flowers along their surface, like some of the ones you'd find back in District Four. Elena smooths her hands over its surface before allowing Ruby to apply the last of her makeup.

"There, all done! They're going to love you!" Ruby's voice is full of joy as she guides her out the door. "Not that they didn't before," she adds the last part as if she needed to assure Elena.

Elena doesn't even acknowledge the last part of her comment, deciding that she could care less if the people sitting out there actually like her. They were part of the reason she is the way she is now, so emotional and overall broken. It didn't take long for her to come to the realisation that these people didn't care for her, even if she is one of their precious victors — she's a pawn in their games.

"We must move quickly, they're expecting us rather soon. I believe Finnick is already waiting for you," Ruby comments as they walk down the hall together, Elena gently clutching her dress so it doesn't get damaged along the ground.

Elena doesn't answer her verbally, simply giving her a nod to show that she was in fact listening to what had been said. She keeps her gaze on the ground, not wanting to be stopped by somebody she comes across, the last thing she wants to do is have to converse with somebody from the Capitol. Instead of getting the peaceful journey she hopes for, she runs straight into another person, their arms holding her steady.

As their eyes meet, she lets out a shaky breath. The familiar blue eyes stare into her own as he holds her upright, careful not to have too harsh of a grip as if he's afraid he'll break her.

"Elena," Peeta greets quietly. "You look beautiful," he adds and her cheeks flush a bright red, her shy personality taking over.

"Thank you. You look nice," Her voice is soft and lacking confidence but she couldn't leave his compliment unreturned, it would be rude. He really does look good, she's just not sure how is else to word it. "I-um-I have to get to Finnick. It was nice seeing you," She mumbles.