xv. broken hearts club

CHAPTER FIFTEEN!

BROKEN HEARTS CLUB

BROKEN HEARTS CLUB.

SHE DIDN'T WAKE FOR MANY DAYS. Most people thought nothing of it, she was simply exhausted and destroyed from what had happened in the games. She was just recovering from the events and she would be fine. Finnick was different.

After finding out that Annie had been taken to the Capitol and that Mags had not made it out alive, he was absolutely distraught. There was only one other person who could pull him from this and she was yet to open her eyes. He spent most of his time by bedside, telling her stories and telling her that he wants her to wake — all of which seemingly didn't work.

However, one day, her eyes opened at the sound of his voice. She clung to him like a young child, crying out from the emotional and physical pain she'd endured.

Now she sits in the rather large cafeteria of District Thirteen with a bowl of food that she's not enjoying in the slightest. Elena uses the spoon to swirl the soup around and watches as it creates its own tornado like structure. Finnick sits to her left with his own food, both of them sitting in an almost peaceful — neither of them really know what to say.

Elena doesn't want to bring up Annie and Finnick doesn't want to talk about Peeta, both District Four tributes looking to save the other some pain after such a painful few weeks.

She hasn't seen much of Katniss since she'd woken up, only a few quick visits just to vaguely check on each other. Elena knows she's hurting too, Peeta is her District Partner who she'd been through so much with — she can understand the hurt. If anything happened to Finnick, like it did to Everett, she would lose herself.

"You need anything?"

Elena looks over to her brother, Jace, who has taken the spare seat to her right. Slowly, she shakes her head and he sigh softly. He's been trying to get a better response for days, one or two words answers usually all he gets - if he's lucky that is. Other times, he gets a simple nod or shake of the head. Finnick isn't much better.

"I managed to steal some of the limited chocolate supply for you," Jace's words draw in Elena's attention almost instantly and he chuckles, holding the bar out in front of me. "If you want it, I need to hear some words,"

"Jace, give me the chocolate," The blonde deadpans and Finnick snorts lightly beside her. Jace rolls his eyes but chucks the bar in her direction anyway. The first inkling of a smile appears on her youthful face, something she should be doing a lot more than she has.

"Better than nothing, I suppose. You need anything, Finn?" Jace looks to his sister's friend who gives a thankful smile but shakes his head. "Alright. I have to go and do a few things, ok? But if you need me, I'm here,"

"I'll be fine, Jay. I promise," Her voice is soft as she tries to convince him, he doesn't fully believe her and it's evident. However, he gives her a kiss on the forehead before leaving them to it.

"Do you think they're okay?"

Elena looks at Katniss and then to the ground. They're in the Capitol, there's a massive chance that they'll never see them again. However, over the past few weeks she's just been telling herself different. That Peeta, Annie and Johanna are all being treated well and looked after — it's definitely not the case.

"I think all we can do is hope they are," Elena responds, her voice cracking slightly as the girl on fire moves to sit beside her. "Hope is all we have,"

"Peeta deserves better than this, this isn't what was supposed to happen," Katniss' voice is a quiet mumble.

"I know. I keep thinking back to those final moments in the arena. They'd planned a whole rebellion and didn't even tell us. I-I tried to be mad at Finnick but I know he wanted to keep me safe. It's all he ever wants to do and now, now he doesn't have Annie to keep him grounded," Elena feels a small pain in her heart at the mention of Annie Cresta.

"Peeta's family — they were in the bakery when it went down. His entire family is dead,"

Elena flinches, Peeta Mellark had lost everything in mere seconds — his family, his freedom, all of it. Elena is lucky, most of the people she cares about are here and living, all besides Peeta and Annie.

"I would give anything to go back there and save him. Me and Haymitch, we made a deal. He was supposed to save Peeta no matter what," Katniss begins as a stray tear rolls down the side of her cheek. Elena reaches over and grabs the girl's hand, squeezing it gently. "I should've been there,",

"You can't blame yourself, I wouldn't even blame Haymitch. Blame Snow, blame the Capitol, they're the reason for all of this," Elena's voice is soft as she tries to console the brunette who slowly nods her head.

"Sometimes I think it would've been better for me to have died in those games," Elena greatly remembers how Katniss managed to live, she's surprised Snow didn't kill her on the spot. "If I had eaten the berries, this wouldn't have happened,"

"If you had eaten those berries, there would have been no hope for Panem. You are their rebellion symbol, the person that can help stop more kids from dying, from suffering the same fate as all of those others did," the same fate that Everett did.

Katniss looks up at her and manages a small flicker of a smile. The door opens and Elena watches as Finnick moves in, taking the seat on her other side and throwing an arm over her shoulder. Elena leans her head on his shoulder as he squeezes her gently.

"Look at us, the terrible trio," Finnick jokes lightly and Elena rolls her eyes.

"That's us," Elena replies.

The terrible trio. The broken victors. The broken hearts club.