xiv. destruction

CHAPTER FOURTEEN!

DESTRUCTION.

A FEW SECONDS WAS ALL IT TOOK FOR President Snow to fall into a fit of rage. The so called 'star-crossed' lovers have now fallen apart in front of his very eyes, the facade he'd warned them to keep up has crumbled. They'd played him again, destroying an image that he'd put out for the Capitol so they wouldn't see him beaten at his own game. Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark had defied him once for a love he knows now is not real, that the audience know is not real.

"This is the furthest thing from what we had planned. However, she is preparing to fight," Snow almost hisses to Plutarch who nods his head in response. "This is what you predicted,"

"We'll toast when it's done? In the meantime, make yourself comfortable," Plutarch responds before leaving the President to himself.

Snow moves his eyes back to the screen, watching as the arena turns dark for the night time. Elena Rogers, the very victor who had come to his home the year before to ask if she could defer being a mentor until the following year. Despite his reluctance, he gave in to show that he could be compassionate, at least so that people would believe he's capable of it. The last person he expected to be a cause of issues in these Games, partially because he didn't know if she'd even be there — Annie and Mags both eligible as well.

As she walks beside Finnick on screen, a soft smile on her lips as they talk about their home, he glares slightly. Whether or not it was intentional, she'd caused issues and now he'd have to rectify that.

Elena pulls on the wire as she helps wrap it around the large tree that the lightning will strike soon

Elena pulls on the wire as she helps wrap it around the large tree that the lightning will strike soon. She then stops as Beetee hands her the coil, looking at Johanna and Katniss before returning his gaze to the young blonde.

"Take this. Unspool it carefully. Make sure the entire coil is in the water, you understand? Then head to the tree at the two o'clock sector. We'll meet you there," Beetee explains and Elena slowly nods to show that she understands, her eyes moving to Finnick who gives her a small smile of encouragement.