xix. peeta mellark

CHAPTER NINETEEN!

PEETA MELLARK.

ELENA FEELS A MIXTURE OF FEAR AND JOY as she stares at Peeta through the glass. He looks so ill and warn out, crushing some of her happiness. However, the fact that he is alive at all is a true victory for her. Word had gotten around about his reaction to Katniss, attacking her in either a fit of rage or fear - Elena cannot be too sure. So, with her permission, they decided to see how he would react to her.

The blonde looks at Haymitch who takes a deep breath and nods his head. Jace squeezes her hand gently before opening up the door for her to go through. At the sound, Peeta's head snaps to the side. Elena lets go of Jace and walks into the room, the door closing behind her in order to keep them 'alone' - even though she's aware there are people through the glass watching her every move.

"Elena," Peeta breathes as she offers him a small smile, moving to sit on the bed beside him.

In an act of trust, one of his hands had been taken from the restraints and he takes the opportunity to lift his hand to rest on the side of her face. Unknowingly, she leans into his palm, his eyes staring into her's as if he doesn't believe she's there in front of him. Her lips twitch up further.

"Are you real?" He asks her, his thumb grazing over her lips as she sits there looking almost angelic to him. "Are you actually here? I swore I'd seen you so many times over the past weeks. I'd talk to you b-but you'd never answer me,"

"I'm here, Peeta. I promise, I'm real," Elena assures and his mouth curves upwards, a genuine smile seemingly forming.

"Good,"

From the other side of the glass, Jace watches the exchange intently. He's ready to strike if he has to, more than okay with prying his sister away from the boy. The image is so much different to what he'd expected, especially with how he'd reacted to his own District Partner who he'd known longer. His reaction is the total opposite of what Jace had been preparing for and he couldn't be more grateful — Elena has already been through enough.

However, Jace severely doubts this was Snow's intention. It was more than likely a tool to hurt Katniss — Peeta has had an extremely loveable response to the blonde whilst she'd ended up with a bruised neck. When she was in the room, it was as if hatred seeped from the Mellark boy.

"He's doing well," Haymitch comments from beside him, a small nod coming from the girl's brother in response. "Doc thinks it'll be beneficial if people he reacts like this with visit often,"

"You won't get any objections from Elena," Jace replies with a soft smile.

Elena reaches over to grab his restrained hand, looking to give some extra comfort. Peeta's hand remains on the side of her face almost as if he's scared she'll vanish if he pulls away. His attachment is surprising but definitely welcomed.

"How are you feeling today?" Her soft voice pierces the air.

"I'm okay. Better than yesterday at least," Peeta mumbles. "I haven't had many visitors who could stand to be in the same room as me,"

"That's not true. You have so many people who love you," Elena speaks and he shakes his head. "Yes you do. Haymitch, Prim, Me, Kat–"

She stops before she speaks the name, seemingly completely unaware of the fact she'd just mentioned herself. Peeta doesn't seem to pick up on it either, his face scrunching up at the mention of Katniss. Elena thinks fast on her feet, needing to change the topic from the girl who he currently detests with every fibre of his being.

"Finnick and Annie are getting married soon. I'm sure they'd love to have you if you're feeling better," Elena interjects and her distraction seems to work, he nods his head slightly. "We can get you some fancy clothes and dress you up,"

"I've never been one to do all the fancy dress stuff," Peeta speaks and she smiles, brushing some stray hairs from his forehead with her free hand. "I'm sure you'd look pretty in a dress though. I-I think I remember you i-in a blue one once but I don't know if that was real or not,"

"The interviews, you told me I looked beautiful,"

"I can only imagine how beautiful you were,"

She diverts her eyes as he cheeks become a rosy red, embarrassment flooding though her as she remembers there are people watching from the other side of the glass. Unknowingly to both teenagers in the room, Katniss has joined them. She watches the exchange with no emotion evident on her face.

"Do you have an outfit for the wedding yet?" Peeta asks, initiating further conversation.

"It's a little hard to get attire around here," Elena admits. "I've been trying to find something to wear — there was an orange dress floating around the other day,"

"Orange? That's my favourite colour," The boy breathes in almost realisation, as if it's only just coming back to him.

"I'll wear it just for you then," Elena promises.

Both of them look at the door as it once again opens up, her brother sticking his head in to look at the two of them. The blondes frown slightly when he beckons her over to him.

"Time's up, Elena," Jace mummers sadly, Coin's orders running through his brain. "Coin has said only short visits,"

"You can't go," Peeta begins to panic as he thinks about being alone again. "Elena, you have to stay,"

Elena squeezes his hand as his slips from her face. She leans over and kisses him on the forehead.

"I'll be back tomorrow," Elena says.

"Promise?"

"Promise,"

Elena follows her brother out, sparing one last look at the broken boy before he's shut away again.

END OF PART TWO!

NOTE!
I'm so sorry this was short and boring! I wasn't exactly sure how to finish off MockingJay Pt 1 because Elena has yet to have any real involvement in the rebellion but that'll change in part 2. I hope you enjoyed anyway and thank you so much for stopping by!

 I hope you enjoyed anyway and thank you so much for stopping by!