viii. game on

CHAPTER EIGHT!

GAME ON.

THERE IS NO POINT IN trying to console herself as she wakes the next morning. She'd snuck into Finnick's room late last night, nightmares plaguing her mind as she continuously struggled to sleep. She doesn't know if he heard her come in but when he woke up with her at his side during the middle of the night, he wrapped an arm around her and went back to sleep.

As she nervously fiddles with the food on her plate with her fork, she can hear the quiet chatter of Finnick who is talking to Mags. He's speaking of strategy by the sounds of it, something she has yet to really come up with. She knows that Finnick won't just leave her alone, he wouldn't do that to her. So really, her plan is to just stay with him.

When she's finished up, the stylists begin to flood in, ready to dress their tributes up in the outfits they're going to wear whilst they're in the arena. Usually, simply based off the outfit itself, you're given some insight into what the arena will be like. The year she went in the first time, there wasn't much indication however and she was left unknowing until she was brought to the surface. This year, it's a little different.

The moment she is fitted into her attire, she knows this arena has something to do with water. It is made to swim in, something that benefits both herself and Finnick greatly. A lot of other tributes won't know how to swim at all and therefore will struggle in certain parts. So that's something she can hold onto as she awaits the nightmare she's about to face.

Finnick and Elena sit beside each other on the aircraft as they're taken towards their destination, their hands clasped together for comfort — more for her sake than for his. Her eyes remain on the ground, much too uncomfortable to pay attention to the others around her knowing that within moments, they'll all be trying to kill one another. Finnick is really the only one she feels as if she can one hundred percent trust in this situation, most of the tributes would stab her in the back if it means going home.

"We will be fine," Finnick tries to assure her as they are escorted off the aircraft and taken back to their stylists for the final time. He can see the fear swimming in her eyes and gives her hand one last squeeze before they're permanently separated.

The blonde's entire body is shaking almost uncontrollably as she's led under the ground and into a small room where the familiar tube is situated. Within minutes, she will be made to step inside that and be taken up to the arena where people will die. Where she will more than likely die.

"It is no different from last time," Ruby says to the blonde who has to stop herself from lashing out — what would Ruby know? She's from the Capitol, she lives a good life. "You will be ok,"

Trying to be polite, even in a time where she really shouldn't, Elena nods slowly and manages to give the woman a small smile. From the look on the older woman's face, she can tell that her smile is incredibly fake but it doesn't stop her from gently wrapping her arms around the teenager. Elena stiffens at the contact but then allows herself to hug the woman back for a few moments before the two pull away.

"Sixty seconds," A computerised voice speaks around them and Elena takes a deep breath before walking over to the tube and stepping inside. When it closes, she makes eye contact with her stylist one last time before she's carried up to the surface.

The first thing that draws in her attention is the water that is currently surrounding her. If it wasn't such a serious situation she probably would've smiled a little, water reminds her of home and more importantly, her older brother who is definitely watching this right now. She allows herself to survey where the other tributes, Finnick nowhere in sight. When she moves her gaze to the left, she spots Peeta who is obviously looking for Katniss.

As if he can sense her looking at him, he turns his head and the two of them make eye contact. Peeta gives a small nod and she returns the favour, the two of them both shaking slightly.

A countdown begins and she looks away, desperately trying to see if she can spot her District Partner amongst all of the people. Whilst Peeta is to her left, Brutus is to her right which could be an extreme problem due to the fact he could easily over power her and kill her — probably without a weapon.

"15"

She gives up on her search for Finnick, instead focusing on the cornucopia where all of the weapons and supplies are. It'll be hard getting in there and grabbing anything before somebody decides to attack, her being vulnerable due to her serious lack of combat skills. Of course Finnick had taught her how to use the trident at training but she can almost guarantee that it'll be little to no use to her, her arms too weak to use it effectively.

"10"

Elena readies herself, leaning forward so that she'll be able to dive in and swim away quickly. This is the one advantage she has and she will most certainly be using it as much as she can.

"5"

She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, prepping herself for what's about to come. Her limbs are still incredibly shaky as she tries to calm herself down, knowing she won't be able to swim properly if she hasn't got control over herself.

"0"

The second the number echoes throughout the open air, Elena dives off the platform into the water below.

NOTE!

This chapter was actually trash!? Thank you all for stopping by anyway, we get to the actual games part next chapter which I'm going to start writing right away!