v. two of us

CHAPTER FIVE!

TWO OF US.

"YOU'RE GETTING BETTER,"

Elena manages a small smile as she looks at the blonde boy who has a smile of his own. When they had arrived at the training earlier, Elena had practically ditched Finnick so that she could try her hand at the camouflage station again. Her district partner seemed somewhat amused by her eagerness but also rather happy at it, she was actually engaging in something and it seems to be making her happy.

"I guess I have a good teacher," her voice is quiet but it still reaches his ears, his face lighting up slightly as he grabs a brush of his own.

The two of them stand beside each other as they work on their own skin, trying to detail it enough that they'll stay hidden. Every now and again, the girl will flick her gaze to him to see what he's doing with his in order to improve her own, following his brush strokes and movements. He seems to notice, his own eyes flicking over to gaze into her own and watching in slight amusement when she blushes and looks away.

The two of them are too caught up in what they're doing that they don't notice Katniss walking over to them with an almost confused expression plastered on her face. She had seen them the previous day and yet she thought that would be it, how wrong she was. If Peeta has formed a friendship with this girl, it's all the more reason to ally with her — despite the whole Finnick situation.

"Are you ready to head to lunch?" Katniss asks and both the blondes move their gaze to the girl who looks as if she's trying to be as friendly as she can. "Are you sitting with Johanna again today?"

"I told her I would," Peeta responds and Katniss nods, the latter not liking the idea of sitting with Johanna and the others. Yesterday, she ended up sitting with Wiress and Beetee and found herself quite enjoying their company. "Elena?"

"Oh-I I'll probably sit wherever Finnick is," The teenager admits truthfully as said man beckons her over with his hand. She smiles and gestures she'll be with him in a second, taking the time to wash her arm down with soap and water. "I guess I'll see you later," she says quietly to the two of them before walking over to her district partner.

Finnick greets her with his usual smile and throws his arm over her shoulders, guiding her over to the table where Johanna and the man from seven are already sitting. The two of them sit beside each other as lunch is served up, the girl deciding not to take too much due to the fact it will more than likely make her feel sick.

"Haven't seen much of you, Rogers. Have you been hiding?" Johanna questions and the blonde looks up, shaking her head at the older woman's words.