xxi. wedding

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE!

WEDDING.

ELENA STANDS BEFORE THE SCRATCHED UP MIRROR and looks at her orange dress, the same dress she'd told Peeta about the other day. The material is soft and flows downwards by her knees, frilling slightly at the bottom. Unfortunately, he isn't able to join her at the wedding per orders of Coin so she's flying solo today. However, she will drop in and see him again later.

The blonde makes her way out of the room and down the hallway towards where Finnick's wedding is being held. Jace had said he would meet her in there, not wanting to disturb his younger sister as she got ready for the wedding. Annie, the bride to be, had requested that Elena stand in as her maid of honour whilst Jace takes on the role of best man for Finnick — the Rogers siblings being two of the most important people in Finnick's life and therefore Annie's.

She opens up the door to a room on the way to the venue, smiling at her District Partner as he nervously looks at himself in the scrappy mirror before him. The man's head snaps to the side when he hears the door, his lips twitching upwards into a small smile as she approaches.

"You look nervous," Elena states. "You'll do fine,"

"I never get nervous," he scoffs which emits an eye roll from her. "Just a little antsy is all. I see you ended up going with the orange,"

"It's Peeta's favourite colour,"

"When do I get to attend that wedding?"

Elena smacks his arm and he winces softly, a playful smile plastered upon his face. As a result of this, she finds herself smiling in response, stepping into his arms for an embrace which he gladly accepts. They stand in utter silence for a few moments, enjoying the company of one another.

"I'm glad you're here for this," Finnick finally mumbles.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world," she replies softly, leaning back so that they can look at each other properly. "You know that,"

"Yeah. Sometimes I just feel as if you're all going to fade away if I look away you'll all fade. That when I wake up, Annie won't be beside me or you won't be down the hall – it's silly but I-"

"It's the furthest thing from silly. I have the same nightmares all the time, you, Jace, Peeta - it's always like that. Just know that Annie and I will both be here until the day we die,"

Finnick grabs the sides of her face and gently presses his lips to her forehead affectionately. When the blonde pulls away from him, there's a knock at the door signifying that they're ready for the wedding to begin. Elena gives him one last encouraging gaze before leaving him and moving towards where she will be. In her hands lay a bunch of flowers — the flower girl role partially filled by her as well.