ix. establishing trust

CHAPTER NINE!

ESTABLISHING TRUST

ESTABLISHING TRUST.

THE SECOND HER body entered the cold water, she felt as if she was at home. The memories of District Four flash through her mind as she swims, the faces of her family flooding through. She breaks the surface and takes a deep breath as she sees some of the tributes struggling the figure out how to leave their platforms, something that will more than likely cause their deaths.

There is the sound of struggling coming from almost every direction, people already fighting one another. However, the loudest comes from her left where she knows Peeta was originally. It's that thought that causes her to turn her head and see him fighting with another male tribute. A million thoughts seemingly run through her head before she begins to move towards him, her mind not winning the argument this time.

Elena struggles, but manages, to pull the man off the teenage boy, the look of shock running over Peeta's face when he sees the blonde helping him out. With it now being two on one, their odds have grown dramatically and yet the man still seems to have the upper hand. Whilst Peeta has strength, he doesn't know how to swim properly and effectively enough to really help and whilst she can swim well, Elena is relatively weak. Therefore, it's like this man is just facing one person.

She kicks at his shins as hard as she can, not wanting to be taken below the surface in a fight she most likely won't win. She can only imagine the anger her brother is feeling back home, annoyed at her utter stupidity. Elena is currently questioning her own actions as her and Peeta try to survive.

The man manages to push her away and begins to drag Peeta under the water, looking to kill him that way. Elena grabs one of his arms, trying to pull him back up only to be brought down herself. The three battle beneath the surface, the two teenagers trying to coordinate some sort of attack that will get him away. Elena kicks at him and the man floats back, his head hitting the platform which causes him to fall unconscious and will unfortunately be the cause of his death.

Elena tries to swim up, knowing that Peeta has already made his way back to the surface. Being further down, it's a little harder to move up and for that reason, Peeta gently reaches down and grabs her arm, helping her to the top.

"Elena!" The voice calls the second she breaks through the water as she coughs due to amount of time she'd spent under there. Peeta has a gentle hold on her waist now, his other hand holding onto the platform. "Over here!"

Elena looks over to see Finnick and Katniss standing together, both of them looking extremely worried about their District Partners. Peeta lets go of her as she starts to swim over, going slowly so that the boy from Twelve can keep up with her, she knows he's not a strong swimmer so any help will be good for him. As she reaches Finnick, he holds his hand out and she grabs it, helping her out before he moves to do the same with Peeta.