xxv. consequences of battle

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE!

CONSEQUENCES OF BATTLE

A SCREECH FALLS FROM ELENA'S LIPS AS Boggs now lays on the ground without his legs. There is a further explosion in the distance and yet nobody seems to pay any mind to it - instead all their attention remains on the man who is currently lying in a pool of his own blood.
Only two words fall from his lips initially.

"The Holo," He croaks softly and Katniss leaps into action, digging around for the small machine that he'd been using.

Others are already trying to tourniquet and cover the extreme injuries but it's proving difficult, blood soaking through the bandages at an alarming rate. Jackson is trying her hardest to contact some medics, to get anybody to help.

They all know though, it's too late for him. Elena has no idea what to do, frozen in shock and horror. There is nothing she can really do, unsure of how to approach the current situation without hurting the man or causing further issues. She is, however, surprised when the man starts to type into the Holo before him as his life hangs in the balance.

"Unfit for command. Transfer of prime security clearance to Squad Four-Five-One soldier Katniss Everdeen," Boggs speaks into the machine before turning to said girl. "Say your name,"

"Katniss Everdeen," She responds and a light beams out of it, casting over the young girl before it vanishes. "What did you do?"

"Prepare to retreat!" Jackson calls to the group.

Elena has no clue where Peeta has ended up, she cannot even see her brother but she follows the command nonetheless. Sounds of gunfire echo in her ears followed by a few blasts, the crew attempting to take out the other bombs before somebody can step on them. Katniss is helping drag Boggs behind them, his screeches filling the air around them.

Somewhere behind her, Peeta begins to attack Katniss and they're forced to drag him, cuff him and shove him into a closet in the closest building. Elena goes to move towards it but Jace pulls her back with a shake of his head, hugging her close to him as she begins to cry quietly. The sound of Peeta struggling and screaming haunts her, his pain filled expression constantly running through her mind.

Elena is too stuck in her emotions to even pay attention to the argument that is happening between Katniss and Jackson after the death of Boggs, her ears unable to hear anything but Peeta and his struggles.

"Put on your masks, we're going out the way we came in," Katniss speaks to them.

Jace puts Elena's mask on for her, wiping away her stray tears with his thumbs. Then he repeats a set of words she remembers so well from her second reaping.