twenty three

And we went home

We all got on the couch, watching the Lion King while eating popcorn.

I glanced to Michael, who was sitting between myself and Paige.

Paige's head was on his shoulder, she was sleeping, completely relaxed.

"So is it true?" Ashton asked.

I raised my eyebrows to him.

"You've been struggling to sleep?" He asked.

"Not as bad as her of course, but the nightmares just suck" I mumbled.

He nodded slowly.

"You should to to therapy with her when we get her in-" "I don't need therapy, I see people die all of the time" I spoke.

"But not getting shot in the head as you hold their daughters crying body." Luke chimed in, and he had a point.

"I'm not letting her go to the appointment alone anyway, hearing her talk about it and process it will help me too." I told them.

"You get your stitches out next week" ashton changed the subject slowly.

"Can't fucking wait."

The next week.

"Does it hurt?" Paige asked quietly as Ashton carefully took the stitches out of my shoulder.

"No, just light tugging." I told her, squeezing her hand.

"Barely a scar, I'm the fucking best" Ashton complimented himself, making me sit up, throwing my shirt back on.

"Absolutely" I rolled my eyes as I agreed with him.

"So, ready for today?" I asked Paige, seeing her smile lightly.

"It's just school- back to normal." She spoke swiftly.

"Exactly, and then you have a soccer game Friday that we're all going to go to- it'll be great" I told her, kissing her head before standing, grabbing my keys.

"You're gonna have a great day, but if it sucks call me, I'll come get you." Ashton spoke, making her smile as she hugged him.

"Thanks Ash"

I took her to Luke and Michaels office to hug them goodbye before driving her to school.

Her knee bounced, she played with a string from her oversized sweatshirt, staring out the window.

"It's going to be okay" I told her.

"It's the same friends, same teachers, same coaches" I told her slowly.

"With just more sympathy" she exhaled to me, making me slowly nod.

"You're going to have a great day, but call me if you don't and we will work something out." I told her as I pulled into the school.

She gave me a brave nod, leaning over and kissing my cheek lightly, which she hadn't ever done, but I didn't say anything as she got out, taking her bag with her.

I just prayed she had a good day