twenty eight

As soon as we walked through the door of the room her mom was in, she intertwined our hands.

I gave her hand a small squeeze as her mom gasped.

"God- you're so beautiful" she spoke.

Paige didn't acknowledge the compliment.

"How did you find me?" She asked immediately.

"I googled your name, you were pretty easy to find considering you were adopted by surgeons with award winning talents." She spoke simply.

"So you came here for my liver?" She asked bluntly.

"A part of it, yes" she almost whispered.

"She has two months before it kills her if she doesn't get a new one" the older lady- who I assumed was Paige's grandma spoke.

"Why should I give you my liver, you did this to yourself, you don't even know me." She spoke quickly.

"I know I did this to myself, Paige." Her mom spoke.

"But I've accepted my mistakes, I've went to therapy and today I am ninety days sober." She spoke.

"And it's all my fault that I don't know you- I should've tried more." She finished.

Paige was silent.

"Paige please, I'm begging you-" "I'm going to let them do the bloodwork to see." She spoke simply, making them both exhale a happy breath.

"But that isn't a yes. I'm going to think about it, and decide whenever I know whether I can even do it or not." She spoke simply.

"Thank you, Paige." She spoke, making Paige nod before the five of us left the room.

So Ashton took her blood and ran to the lab to rush it.

Paige sat silently in her chair, bouncing her knee.

"What are you thinking?" I asked her.

"I'm praying it's negative, does that make me a bad person?" She asked me.

"Not at all, but you have a choice even if it comes back positive-" "I really don't." She spoke.

"I can't just let her die- I can't live life with the thought of being able to save her but letting her die instead, if it comes back positive, I'm doing it." She spoke swiftly.

"You need to think about it" I spoke slowly.

"It's what my dad would do" she spoke.

"He hated my mom for what she did to us, but I know that he would've still died for her." She spoke, getting choked up as she did.

"I have to be forgiving, like my dad."

Fifteen minutes later, Ashton returned

"You can do it, it's a match"

I watched her exhale.

"And you guys will do the surgery, right?" She asked.

"Myself and Luke will do it" Ashton spoke.

She closed her eyes, bouncing her knee for a minute before standing.

"Let's go tell her that we're doing it."