twenty six

I was speechless

Paige hasn't said anything about her mother, we just thought she wasn't in the picture. She said her side of the family never claimed her, where we supposed to ask deeper into that sensitive topic?

"Do you have proof of being Paige's actual birth mother?" Ashton shot out.

The mom nodded, pulling a paper out.

"These are abandonment charges her dad charged me with once I left." She spoke, handing us the official court papers- where they had our proof.

I was silent.

"But look how the tables have turned- apparently her dad abandoned her because you guys were able to adopt." She spoke almost under her breath.

"Her dads dead." I spat to her.

"He died to protect her and he trusted me with her- so she was not abandoned, she was protected until the day he couldn't protect her anymore and now, that's my job." I spat out.

She was now speechless

"I-I'm Sorry, I didn't know-" "maybe you should watch the news." I spat, feeling Ashton lightly hit me, telling me to stop.

"I need her to give me part of her liver-" "what have you done for her?" I asked.

"Calum" Ashton spoke, but I spoke again.

"Why do you feel as if she owes you a liver-" "she doesn't." Her mom spoke firmly.

"But I am begging, I'm willing to pay her five thousand dollars, I just don't want to die." She spat.

My hands balled into fists.

"Just bring her here, let me introduce myself to her-" "she won't even know who you are-" Ashton cut me off by shoving me out the room where I heard him say

"Give us a few minutes to consult with the rest of the family, we will be back."

And then he joined me.

"That woman didn't give a fuck about Paige and now that she's dying- she's begging to come back and act like she loves her daughter-" "shut up" Ashton spoke.

"What did you just say to me?" I spat, confused as to why he wasn't trying to defend Paige.

"I said shut up" he stopped in his tracks, looking to me.

"Look, I'm just as pissed as you are, but this isn't our decision and we can't decide it for her and you know that." He spoke to me, making me look away.

He was right

And Paige was too giving

She's going to hear "two months until death" and she's going to immediately want to go to testing to see if she can be a donor.

"We will give her our medical advice, and you can then talk to her as her father figure, but we do not have the right to take this decision from her."