4| At First Sight

Kal walks me to my locker as the first bell rings. We have five minutes to get to class. "Did you study for Mrs. Carmine's English test?" He asks.

"When do I ever study?" I joke, twisting the combination, and open my locker. "It's ridiculous that she's giving us a test the day we come back from Christmas break."

He chuckles and says, "Maybe you can play the 'dead dad' card."

I turn and stare at him. "Kal—"

"Sorry. Too soon?"

I can't help but laugh. "Just a tad."

"Yeah, I figured," He agrees and nods. "Anyway, Mrs. Carmine lets us use those packets we worked on, so I should at least get a solid 'B'."

"'B' for brainiac," I tease as I grin at Kal. "You're smarter than you let everyone think, you know."

"If teachers knew how smart I really was, they would call on me more in class," Kal tells me as we walk to class. "That's the last thing I want."

I roll my eyes. "You know, if you brought your grades up, every two weeks Student Government throws a pizza and ice cream party in the library. Get to skip the last two periods and eat free food."

"Now that's tempting." He bumps my arm with his. "Hey, remember in sixth grade when you bribed me with Scooby-Doo fruit snacks if I passed my math test?"

"Yes. You studied every day because you wanted them so bad."

"I got a 'C'," Kal concludes. "And four packs of Scooby-Doo fruit snacks."

"They're the best." We take out usual spot in the back of the classroom.

Mrs. Carmine stands at the front as the rest of the students find their seats. "Alright, settle in. Welcome back. I know you all still have that Christmas Break high, but we're back at school now. I hope you remembered your packets because you have a test today."

Jonah smacks his desk and groans from across the room, "That's whack, Mrs. C."

"I'm assuming you forgot your packet, Jonah?" Mrs. Carmine challenges, raising an eyebrow.

"No, I just think it's dumb."

She rolls her eyes. "Of course you do."

"Excuse me, Mrs. Carmine?" Principal Tiller asks as she creeps the door open. "Your new student is here."

"Oh, thank you, sir." She claps and gets the class' attention. "Before we start our test, a little announcement. We have a new student. He transferred to our school over Christmas break. Please welcome, Brad."

Now all I can think about is that Liberty Mutual commercial. You named it, Brad. My eyes widen as Brad walks in. He deserves a better introduction. The first thing I notice are his lips, perfectly shaped. I bet he gives angel kisses. His dark, chocolate brown hair runs down to his ears, messy in all the right places. I like his sweater; blue looks good on him. I've never felt this way around anyone. Sure, I get attached fast, but never like this. Damn, he's really cute.

"Brad, would you like to tell the class a little something about yourself?" Mrs. Carmine asks him, interrupting my perfect fantasy.

"No, I wouldn't," Brad answers, and the class laughs. If you can make everyone in the room laugh, you'll have no problem adjusting. His eyes meet mine and my stomach knots with butterflies. Something looks familiar about him. He smiles, and I know that's for me.

Mrs. Carmine pats his shoulder. "Please sit down, Brad. Any empty seat. I see some students decided to play hooky today." She grabs her clipboard and takes attendance.

Brad breaks eye contact with me as he walks down the narrow aisle, sitting in the empty desk in front of mine. Fate, is it? He turns around fast. "Do you have a pencil I can borrow?" He asks, adding with a smile, "I must have lost mine in the move." I'm taken aback by his beautiful voice.

"Sure," I whisper, giving him the one in my hand. "There's interest on it, though."

"I'll make sure to give it back in time." He winks and turns around.

Kal rolls his eyes. "Seriously, Codi?" He mutters, shaking his head.

"What?" I innocently ask, glancing over at him.

"Getting all lovey dovey over the new kid. You know it never ends well," He reminds me.

"Just because Matty and I didn't last doesn't mean it's going to happen with every guy I talk to," I defend, although that's exactly what happened with every guy after Matty.

Kal leans over. "What about Jonah?" He gestures across the room to where he's sitting. "On your first date, he was masturbating! At the table! In public! I don't know how you stayed with him for three more months after that. Or Zeke? His idea of fun is cow tipping."

"Hey, that date was a lot of fun," I joke, and Kal breaks into a smile. "Look, I know you're worried about me, and you care, but I'm eighteen now. I think I can handle dating. Okay? I appreciate it, though." I go quiet as Mrs. Carmine walks by. She gives us a 'shh' and walks back to her desk.

Kal writes something on his paper and slides it over so I can see: Just be careful.

I give him a thumbs up.