15| Double Date

one month later

I put some notebooks away in my locker and as I close it, I find Brad waiting on the other side, holding two cups of coffee. I smile big and ask, "You got me coffee?"

Brad leans down and kisses me. "Of course I did. Bitter and sweet, like my girlfriend."

I rolls my eyes and reach out to pat his cheek. "Haha, very funny. You're lucky you're cute."

"Oh, you think I'm cute?" He smirks, mischief dancing in his eyes.

"Yeah... really cute."

Brad reaches inside his jacket pocket and pulls out a tiny blue box and hands it to me. "Happy one month, babe."

"Wait, you actually got me something? I thought I said no gifts."

"I know, but I couldn't resist. Open it."

I take the lid off the box and stare at a gold necklace with the letter B—his initial—with a tiny topaz, the birthstone for November. "Oh, Brad. This is beautiful. And you got the birthstone right."

"When you talk, I listen, Codi."

I look up with a smile as I hook the necklace around my neck. "Now I feel bad that I didn't get you anything."

He shrugs. "Don't be."

"How?" I ask with a laugh. "You got me coffee and a gorgeous necklace—"

"Codi?" There's a tap on my shoulder and I turn around to see Stephanie standing behind me. "Can I talk to you real quick?"

I nod. "Yeah, of course." I turn back. "Brad—"

"I'll see you in class." He understands and leans down to kiss me on the cheek before walking off down the hall.

I look back at her. "What's up, Steph? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything's good," She starts with a nod. "I just wanted to ask something. A favor, actually." She takes in a deep breath and starts twisting the bracelet around her wrist, something she always does when she's nervous.

I take a sip of my coffee, asking, "Oh, really? What is it?"

Stephanie sighs. "It's kind of embarrassing, but... I wanted to know if you would ask Kal if he likes anyone. It's driving me crazy just thinking about it. It keeps me up at night."

"Aww, Steph. That is so cute." I shake my head. "But not that I know of..." My eyes widen. "Wait! Kal did mention this girl he's crushing on, but he wouldn't tell me her name."

There's hope in Stephanie's eyes. "Do you think maybe it's... me?"

I don't want to say yes, but I don't want to say no. "Maybe." I grab her arm and add, "Hey! Why don't you ask Kal on a date?"

Fear fills the hope that was just in her eyes and she takes a step back. "A d-date? The two of us? Alone?"

"Yeah, why not?"

"What if he doesn't say yes?" Stephanie frowns with worry and paces back and forth in front of the lockers. She does this before or during a game when she thinks our team is going to lose. "What if I ask him out. and he says no. and calls me ugly and disgusting?"

I laugh and assure her, "Kal would never do that. He's not that kind of guy. You'll never know if you don't ask."

She suddenly grabs my arm. "Could you ask him for me please?" She asks with a pout. "Just thinking about asking him out is giving me major anxiety and I don't want to have another panic attack."