18| Boyfriend, Meet Mom

four days later

"Mom?" I knock three times on her bedroom door and slowly push it open. She walks out of the connecting bathroom, wearing a beautiful, dark purple silk robe. Woah, that's new. I wonder if that's another gift she couldn't afford. "Can I talk to you about something?"

"Sure, Codi. What is it?" She walks over to her vanity and sits, grabbing lotion, and starts to rub some on her face, neck, and shoulders.

"Umm." I walk over and sits on the edge of her bed, tapping my fingers on the bed frame. "So... you know I've been with my boyfriend for about three months now." Here goes nothing. "And I want you to meet him."

Mom pauses, hands posed on her cheeks, and looks at me in the mirror. "Are you serious?"

"Yes."

She laughs and reminds me, "You never ask me to meet your boyfriends." She opens a makeup pallet and applies blush to her thin cheeks. "Never."

"I know." She's right. I don't—ever. My past relationships have never felt important enough for Mom to meet, but Brad's different. "But he's special. I really like him, Mom. He's sweet, caring, and laughs at my jokes."

"Well, he must really be into you then because your jokes aren't funny." I frown at Mom as she walks in her closet to change. "When do you want me to meet him?" She calls out.

This part I dreaded answering. "Tonight?"

"Tonight?!" Mom shrieks.

"I know it's short notice, but I really want this. Besides, he only has tonight free." My leg bounces with uneasy nerves. "This weekend he's going to visit his aunt in Georgia. Would seven be good?"

"Seven—as in three hours?"

"Yes?"

The closet doors open and Mom steps out, head-to-toe in a yellow designer pantsuit. She looks like a dandelion. "I guess, Codi, but I'll have to make a quick trip to the grocery store," She burdens with a heavy sigh.

"Thank you!"

As I step over to hug her, Mom holds a hand out and stops me. "No hugs, Codi. I just got this back from the dry cleaners. I don't need any stains."

"Right..." I take in a deep breath and pinch my arm to keep myself from crying. "I'm going to do dishes first before I take a shower."

"What should I make for dinner?"

"Pasta."

Mom crosses her arms. "We had pasta last night."

And I'm still surprised you ate it. "You can never go wrong with pasta."

She gives in with another sigh. "Alright. Pasta it is. What time will Kal be over?"

I turn around and give her a double take. I raise an eyebrow at her and ask, "What are you talking about?"

"Kal is your new boyfriend, right?"

"No, Mom!" I shout with wide eyes. Why does everyone assume that? "Kal and I are just friends!"

Mom raises her arms in defense. "Hey, it was just a question, Codi. You haven't even told me your boyfriend's name, so sue me for assuming. You always invite Kal over for dinner."

"Well, yeah... but you've met Kal, like, a million times. The whole point of tonight is to meet my boyfriend."

"How much garlic bread should I make?"

I grin. "A lot. Okay, I'm going to do dishes now. I love you."

"Love you, too!" Mom shouts back as I walk down the hall to my bedroom.