28| Open Hearts

The kitchen door opens and Brad steps outside, wearing his black tux and his matching gold tie. His hair is gelled and styled, ready for prom. I'm ready to kill myself as the quick thought of thinking my brother's attractive creeps in. He walks over to the swing, corsage in hand. "Hey... your mom said you'd be out here."

"You mean Aunt Tami?" I correct, swinging back and forth slowly as I peek up at Brad and wait for his reaction.

His lips press tight together. "What?"

"I know everything, brad."

He starts to shake his head. "I don't know what you're talking about—"

"Don't do this," I snap, fully looking up at him now. "I know we have the same dad. My mom is your aunt and... you're my cousin-slash-half-brother." I laugh and whisper, "Fuck, I need therapy."

"Does it bother you?" He asks.

I stand up fast, angry, and he steps back in fear. "Does it bother me?" I repeat in a mocking tone. "What do you fucking think, Brad? Of course it does! What the hell is wrong with you?"

"I don't see the harm in it if we both love each other—"

"Now you sound like my mom."

Brad sighs. "So everything we had, everything we shared, it doesn't mean anything anymore?"

"I loved you, Brad! The Brad before everything came spilling out. Before you all lied to me. I was in love with this sick idea you fed me and everything's changed now."

"No, it hasn't—"

"Did you know?" I cut in and ask, crossing my arms. Brad stares down at me. "I'd understand if you just found out like I did—if you're a victim in this hopeless mess, too—but I have to know. Did you know? Did you know we were related?"

He avoids eye contact as he says, "Not until we had dinner with your mom."

I feel sick. I feel angry. Most of all, I feel betrayed. "W-What? That was months ago! You and my mom kept this secret from me. You both knew this entire time and never told me? You led me on and let me believe this awful lie." I gasp and step back from him. "Y-You knew... you knew the truth when we had sex?! And you let me? You didn't tell me?!"

Brad doesn't say anything.

Angry, I slap him across the face, and shout, "Go! Now!"

"Codi, can't we talk about this?"

"There's nothing more to talk about! If you had broken up with me the moment you found out I was your sister, I might be able to forgive you. But you knew and you stayed. That I don't think I can ever forgive."

"Even if we're not together anymore, we're still family."

"Yeah, and that's the problem, isn't it?"

He tries to grab my hand. "Codi—"

"Go, Brad. Please. I don't ever want to see you again."

"Fine. I'll go." He sets the corsage on the swing. "For what it's worth, you look beautiful—"

"GO!"

Brad steps back and heads inside. I hear his car door open and slam shut and his roaring engine echoes down the street as he leaves. I grab the corsage and crumble the flower, throwing it over the fence. I sit back down with a sigh and keep swinging.

***

I've been swinging for an hour now. I didn't want to get up, and even now my legs are numb and asleep. My throat is dry. My heart aches. The swing tugs back and I look up to see Kal. He's dressed up, too, in a dark blue suit. He sits beside me on the swing. I've never been more happy to see him. I hug him immediately and whisper, "I'm so glad to see you."