14| Busted

one week later 

I carry a tub of dirty dishes to the kitchen and drop them in the sink. Susana comes over and kisses me on the cheek. "Thank you so much for switching shifts, Codi-babe. I need all the extra tips I can get."

"You know I'd do anything for you, Susana," I tell her with a smile. "You and Jerry are like family to me. Besides, now I'll have more time with my boyfriend." My boyfriend... I forgot how much I loved having one.

Susana and Jerry share a look. "Boyfriend, eh?" He asks, chopping vegetables now. "Is that kid you talked of with the pet turtle with the painter's name?

"His name is Brad," I remind him, "And yes, we're dating now."

Susana cups my face. "I'm happy for you, darling." Her smile fades into a concerned frown. "Boys are ruthless and cruel, but deep down they are spineless cowards if you make them feel that way. Don't let him play you like a fiddle."

Laughing, I start to say, "I don't have to worry about that with Brad. He's kind and sweet and—" I cut myself off when I see Brad standing out by the hostess stand. I check my phone. It's time for my break, anyway. I leave the kitchen and clock out and walk over to meet him. I finally notice what he's holding: a bouquet of red tulips and a pack of my favorite candy, Milk Duds.

"Well, hello there..."

Brad turns around at the sound of my voice and smiles. "Hey! I wanted to surprise you, but I guess you saw me first." He hands over the flowers and candy. "Surprise."

"Aw, you didn't have to do that."

He scratches the back of his neck with a nervous grin. "I know, but I was home alone—again—and I couldn't stop thinking about you. I had to see you."

"And you remembered I'm on break."

"Exactly." He grabs my hand and we go outside and sit on a bench. "I know you only have twenty minutes, but it's better than nothing."

I open the box of Milk Duds and eat a few, offering some to Brad. "These are so good."

"So, how am I doing so far?" He asks. "Is Kal still going to kick my ass?"

I glance over, pausing, and shakes my head with a smile. "Nah. You got me flowers and candy, so you're good."

"Wait, you've never gotten flowers before?"

I shake my head again. "No. Like I said, last two boyfriends were kind of jerks. No flowers, no candy, no gifts of any kind."

Brad starts to smile to himself as he throws a milk dud in his mouth. "You know what? I'm going to get you a whole fucking garden. Just beautiful flowers—everywhere!" He looks at me. "Then you'd get flowers every day."

I smile. I would love a garden.

***

I stand at the front door and stare at the flower bouquet in my arms. Brad has taste in flowers, at least. I don't think I've ever been this happy. I poke my face. Yup, still smiling. For the first time in months, I played my happy playlist. The last time I listened to it was a week before Dad died. Brad promised we'd FaceTime soon, so I have to hurry upstairs and wash my face. As I slip the key through the lock, I hear a faint sound of soft music seeping through the door. It's romantic music. Mom never listens to music. New designer clothes, cheeseburgers, watching TV, and now music? Music? What the hell happened to Mom? I shove the door open fast. "What the hell?!"

Mom and Uncle Paulter are making out on the couch. At the sound of my loud voice, they jump back from each other and stand up. I look around the living room. There's lit candles and two wine glasses on the coffee table. "Codi—"