21| Championship Game

Friday Night

"Alright ladies, listen up!" Coach Jackson huddles the team together in the dugout. "Big game tonight. It's the championship game! Last one of the year, and the last game for our seniors. We have never lost a game and I don't expect to lose again tonight. What I expect is all of you focused and determined to win. No distractions! So, what are we going to do?"

"Win!"

"And when are we winning?"

"Tonight!" 

Coach Jackson claps. "That's right, ladies! We're going to go out there and kick ass! There's still ten minutes before the game starts. Everyone drink some water, use the bathroom, take a breather, and relax."

I pull out my phone and read my last text from Brad. He mentioned something came up with his dad so he might be late to my game, but that was over three hours ago, and he hasn't updated me or answered my calls or texts since. "Hmm..."

"What's wrong?" Jessica asks as she walks over with Stephanie. They both sit beside me.

"I don't think Brad's coming tonight," I tell them, shoving my phone back in my duffel bag. "He promised he'd be at the game, but something came up. Now he won't answer any of my texts."

Stephanie squeezes my hand. "Brad will show up, Codi. He really likes you. Maybe he got his situation handled already and he's on his way, or maybe he's trying to surprise you!"

"By showing up late?" Jessica scoffs with an eye roll. She peeks out of the dugout and waves at Lanley standing on the other side of the fence. "Can never depend on men, which is why I like girls. Well, and other reasons."

"Isn't that Kal?" Stephanie asks, pointing, and the three of us stand to get a better look.

I see him and immediately smile. "I'll be right back." I jog over and slip out through the gate. "Hey, you made it!" I wrap my arms around his neck and hug him tight. "I'm so glad you're here."

"What, you thought I was going to miss my best friend's last softball game?" Kal asks with an eye roll. He takes in a deep breath and tells me, "I wanted to apologize for the other night, when I was bitching about Brad and dinner. I know you're getting serious with him and we can't always keep up traditions, no matter how ridiculous they are."

"Oh, come on." I playfully shove his arm. "We'll always have our traditions."

Kal pulls out a small, black box from his pocket and hands it to me. "I wanted to give you this, for good luck." 

"What is it?"

"Open it."

I tilt the lid open. It's a silver bracelet with a mitt, bat, and softball charms. "Oh, Kal! This is so cool!" I pick it up and the overhead lights above us make it sparkle. "Thank you."

"Here, let me help." Kal takes the bracelet and slips it around my wrist. "Now if you win, it'll be because of me. I won't hesitate to tell you, 'I told you so'. I hope you know that."

"I know." I smile at my wrist and the thought of my distant boyfriend creeps in and makes me frown. "Umm, have you heard from Brad today?" I ask as I look back up at Kal. "He won't answer any of my texts."

He shakes his head. "No, but I'll give you a heads up if I see him." He checks his phone. "Guess the game's about to start."

"Yeah..."

Kal hugs me again. "I'll be with your mom in the stands. Break a leg. Does that apply to sports, too?"

"Absolutely," I whisper with a laugh. "See you after the game."