23| Related Suspicions

three days later

I close my locker after putting away my Chemistry textbook and close it. I find Brad waiting on the other side with two coffees in his hands. "Hi..." He whispers with a nervous smile.

I cross my arms. We haven't talked since the party—which really pissed me off. I hate the silent treatment. "Hi."

"This is for you." He hands me the cup from his right hand. "Part of my apology. I'm sorry for what I said at Elliot's party. I shouldn't have told you to stop being friends with Kal."

I shake my head with a sigh. "No, I'm sorry for kissing someone else. Drunk truth or dare always bites you in the ass, huh?"

"So... are we good?"

I take a sip from the cup and smile with a soft nod.

"Great. I also have another surprise." He reaches behind and pulls out two prom tickets from his back pocket. "I got them this morning."

My eyes widen and I almost spit out my coffee. "Hey, I was buying my own!"

"You snooze, you lose. Besides, I wanted to."

"Brad—"

"I wanted to do something nice for you, Codi," Brad cuts in, resting his hand on my waist.

"Thank you."

"You have a free period now, right?" He asks.

I nod. "Study hall. I'm going to be in the library catching up on homework." I purposely leave out the tiny detail of Kal being there, too. I don't want us to fight again. "Pretty boring."

"Too bad I have my stupid Spanish quiz, otherwise I'd ditch and come hang with you."

I smile up at him. "Aren't you sweet." Honestly, I want more time away from Brad. The weekend wasn't long enough, apparently. I have a lot to think about and I don't want my boyfriend shadowing to interfere. We reach the stairs and part with a kiss. "Good luck on your test."

"Thanks, babe. I'll see you later." Brad walks down the hall and I head upstairs.

As well as making up with Brad, I feel the need to apologize again to Kal. I walk in the library and find him sitting at our table in the corner. We adopted it earlier this year when we first had study hall together. He notices me, pauses, and eventually waves slightly. We haven't talked, either, about the party and what happened when we weren't completely sober. I wonder if he even remembers. I sit down next to him.

"Hey, Codi," He greets.

"Hi." I set my backpack on the desk and tap my nails against the table. A minute that feels like eternity passes and neither one of us says anything. "I—"

"It's awkward, isn't it?" Kal finally asks. "Because of what happened at the party?"

I glance over and ask sarcastically, "Why do you say that? Because we got tipsy and made out for a dare?"

We share a look and laugh.

"I just want to say I'm sorry, Codi."

"Why are you sorry?" I ask, confused. "I initiated the kiss."

Kal nods. "I know, but I don't want to get in the middle of your relationship with Brad."

I shake my head and mutter, "If anything was getting in the way, it's not you."

"What do you mean?" He asks. "Did something happen between you two?"

"Between us, or between my mom and Brad?"