19| Distractions

four days later

I haven't stopped thinking about dinner Thursday night. Why were Mom and Brad acting so weird? How did she know his name already? If they do know each other, how? It doesn't make sense. Mom's getting ready for work when I walk in her bedroom, putting on makeup. She puckers her lips as she applies shiny pink lip-gloss. "Hey, Mom?"

"What is it, Codi? I'm already late for work." She takes the curlers out of her hair and adjusts her bangs. "I can't believe I slept through my alarm."

"It's about dinner, umm, the other night. With Brad."

Mom stops fixing her hair and stares at me. "What about it? Did my cooking make you sick?"

I lean against the door frame and cross my arms. "No, it's not about the food. It's about Brad."

"Brad?" She laughs. "Honey, if you're afraid I don't like him, don't worry. I do. He seems like a nice kid. He definitely makes you happy."

"He does..."

"Then what's the problem, Codi?" Mom grabs her purse and searches for her keys. "Oh, doesn't Brad get back from his trip this afternoon?"

I nod. "Yeah, I'm picking him up from the airport soon." I don't know how Mom knows that, though. "I just wanted to ask you something."

"Follow me out, Codi," She says, snapping twice at me as she rushes downstairs. "I'm going to be later than late."

"It was weird at dinner. The way you and Brad were acting around each other, like you..."

"Like we what, Codi?" She yells and I realize she's getting more annoyed and angrier the further I press on with this.

"Like you guys knew each other," I finally admit.

Mom's eyes slightly widen with a pause, then she starts laughing. She unlocks her car and climbs in, rolling down the window as she starts it. "That's ridiculous, Codi. Look, if I was acting weird, it wasn't because of Brad. I love you, but I have to go to work now."

"I love you, too," I whisper, waving as she backs out of the driveway and leaves.

I don't believe her.

***

"I'm so glad you're back," I whisper in Brad's ear as we lay together in my bed, resting my head on his chest. I listen to his heartbeat, and it soothes every nervous worry. "I missed you."

"It was just three days," He reminds me, running his fingers through my hair. Tingles dance down my spine and I close my eyes, enjoying the feeling. "But I missed you, too. I couldn't stop thinking about you. The phone calls and video chats weren't enough."

I grab his hand. "You're back now and that's all that matters."

Brad rubs his hand up and down my leg. "You know, in just a few weeks, it'll have been four months since we started dating."

"We're actually keeping track?" I joke with a laugh. "You've lasted longer than my ex-boyfriends. They usually skip out by the third month. Second, if I'm unlucky."

"Have I now?" He teases.

"Feels like years have passed instead of months. You need to change your calendar."

"The past few months have gone by fast, haven't they?" He asks, smiling, and then suddenly goes quiet.

I'm worried now. "What?"

"Nothing," Brad says, shaking his head. "I just like looking at your eyes."

I sit up and tell him, "If you say one more cheesy thing, I'm going to throw up."

"Ah, so you don't want me to say anything." He kisses me and whispers in my ear, "Is that better, love?"

"Much," I murmur back, hypnotized by his bright eyes, and I kiss him back, pulling myself closer to him. Fire burns through my legs; I can't hold back anymore. I straddle his lap and hold his face in my hands, running my thumb down his cheek, then along his sharp jawline. "All weekend I thought about kissing you again," I admit, gently pressing my chest against his.

Brad's hands move to my waist, under my skirt, and he pinches my thighs. Excitement runs through my body at his touch. "So have I."

He strokes my cheek with his thumb and moves in for another kiss. Again and again. Over and over. More and more. We move in sync as if we have each other memorized. His hands are under my shirt and mine are undoing his belt and we flinch as our fingers graze with a sudden spark. We share a look—smile and laugh—and our lips touch again.

Inviting Brad in with a nod, I lay back on my bed and tug my skirt up to my waist. Our bare chests touch and he pulls the blanket above to shield us. His mouth is hot on my skin as he explores my body and I give in everything to him. I explode with pleasure and melt into him. "Just like that," I whisper, running my nails up his back and through his hair.

"Just... like... that..."

Our faces close, breath to breath, and I never want to stop looking at him. "We were supposed to study," I tell him with a laugh.

"Sorry, teach." Brad pushes my sweaty bangs out of my face, grinning. "You're just a damn good distraction."