nine

❀

Study of Ancient Runes was uneventful. It was mainly full of scribbling down notes in a haste as Professor Babbling babbled on at the speed of lightning.

Gracelyn stretched her arms above her head as Sage and her leisurely walked through the corridors, attempting to avoid other students who had classes to get to.

"Library?" questioned Gracelyn.

"I'm feeling a little peckish. Kitchens?" Sage recommended.

"Sure. I could go for some chocolate."

"Was that an innuendo?" asked Sage.

Gracelyn spluttered, arms dropping dramatically by her side as she stared at Sage with wide eyes. "That was not!"

"Oh, sweet Gracie," mused Sage, patting her friend's arm.

Sage's hand lingered on Gracelyn's arm for a moment. Gracelyn, not noticing, shuffled to the side of the wall to avoid a stampede of students, pulling Sage along with her.

Of course, because of the large number of students in the corridor, there had to be someone who bumped into Gracelyn or Sage. Gracelyn was slightly knocked back.

"Hey, watch - "

The words on Sage's tongue died out as she watched a flustered Remus look down at Gracelyn who seemed as flustered as him. He had one arm against the wall, bracing himself as he slightly leaned over Gracelyn's smaller body.

"Hi," Gracelyn breathed out.

"Hi," he whispered.

Sage's shoulders sagged for a moment before she hiked them back up and took a deep breath, backing slightly away from Gracelyn.

"Hey, I'll be in the kitchens, all right?" asked Sage.

Gracelyn turned around, and in her haste, fell against Remus's chest. One of his hands grabbed her shoulder to stabilize her as her back pressed against his chest. She looked up at her, noticing how significantly closer he was when he looked down at her.

"Sorry."

"It's all right," he replied.

Gracelyn turned back to Sage. "I'll meet you there."

Sage nodded, waving goodbye enthusiastically. "Don't do anything I wouldn't do!"

The joke felt fake on her lips and the taste of a lie gnawed at her. She rushed away in the direction of the kitchens, hoping to find solace by drowning her sorrows in blueberry muffins.

Gracelyn stepped away from Remus in order to properly look at him. "Do you have class?"

He nodded. "Yes, Potions."

"You should... You should get going then," she recommended.

The corridor was beginning to look empty. The two stared at each other before Remus nodded and recollected himself before slowly walking away. He froze and turned around, surprised that Gracelyn was staring after him.

"I'll see you later?" he asked.

She nodded. "Definitely."