nineteen

❀

Gracelyn mustered up as much courage her body could handle and approached the Marauders. For a Ravenclaw, she was a good amount of thick.

"Hi," she whispered. "You probably don't remember me, but - "

"You're that Ravenclaw we smuggled back," James pointed out.

"Uh - that's correct. Sorry, I don't mean to be taking your time. I just wanted to give you this." She handed out a letter and James took it. "It's not for you. It's for Remus, but we're not really on speaking terms."

Sirius winced. "He's not really on speaking terms with anyone."

She cringed. "I'm aware. I just thought that since you were dorm-mates, you could leave it on his bed? I'm - I'm really too much of a coward to say it to his face so delivering it for me would do wonders."

She looked so hopeful, looking at the boys who towered over her slightly. She was optimistic, and it was something Sirius hadn't been in many years. It was something he saw in James and Peter, but rarely himself or Remus. He had an inkling he knew why Remus had taken a liking to Gracelyn.

Sirius gingerly snatched the letter from James's hands and tucked it into his robes, then stretched his hand out toward Gracelyn. She glanced up at him and hesitantly shook it.

"Nice doing business with you, love," said Sirius. "You owe me one now."

Gracelyn nodded. "Only good things."

He grinned. "I can't promise that. I'll deliver it nicely and safely onto Moony's bed. Don't worry."

"Thank you, Black, really. It means a lot."

He shrugged. "Nothing really. Wanna come down to the lake with us?"

Gracelyn shook her head. "Thank you but I have another friend I should be getting back to. You three have fun though."

Then, she scurried away. James rounded on Sirius, hands on his hips, eyes narrowed. Sirius paid him no mind, whistling innocently as Peter looked between them.

"What was that?" asked James.

Sirius shrugged. "She's the last person Moony talked to. She has to be something, right? He talked to her more than us in the past few months. I'm to blame for that."

James's hands dropped to his side, a sad look on his face before he smiled and bumped his shoulder against Sirius's. "Let's go to the lake."