seventeen

❀

Gracelyn swore Remus could hear her heartbeat. She was nervous and felt like she was about to faint at any second. Her cheeks were flushed and she couldn't hear herself think.

He noticed, occasionally brushing his fingers against her fingers when asking if she was all right. He didn't know what he was doing to her poor heart. He was slowly picking up the pieces without realizing it, but she couldn't lean into his touches because she knew it wouldn't end well.

"I'm all right," whispered Gracelyn.

He was skeptical. He knew signs of a sickness because he often found himself at the infirmary each month.

Coursework for the Astronomy O.W.L. was tough because it was all memorization. They had to fill out a sheet on their O.W.L. based on what they observed in the night sky. Students in the class had to organize a meeting to help each other get through it.

Within the study group, they would review together and make flashcards. From there, they would pair off as evenly as possible and try to recite star signs from memory.

It was as if bad luck knocked on Gracelyn's door because she was paired up with Remus and he was sitting next to her, unknowingly grazing any part of his skin against hers.

It drove her mad. She was already horny before she met him and now she wouldn't stop her eyes from wandering across his body. She had to close her eyes and breathe in deeply. She felt like a young schoolgirl all over again. Then, she remembered she was a young schoolgirl at the age of sixteen.

"Are you sure you're all right?" asked Remus.

Her eyes snapped open. "Yes, yes, I'm all right. Just a little lightheaded."

"We should go to Madam Pomfrey," he insisted.

"Remus, what are you doing? We're here to study, aren't we? You don't have to act like you care about me. Let's just continue."

The two weren't exactly speaking quietly at their table. Lily, who was sitting next to Gracelyn with her back toward the pair, heard everything clearly. She remembered the Gracelyn that was awestruck by Remus's beauty, but now she was pushing him away.

Remus cleared his throat. "R-Right."