•Chapter 65•

'You want to leave?' I ask astonished.

'I've been thinking about it for so long.' he replies. 'I just don't know how to tell everyone else. And the fans will be devastated.'

I sit down, still processing the fact that he wants to leave. 'Look, Zayn, no one can force you to stay, and no one should. You should do what makes you happy, and if that isn't One Direction right now, then that's out of our hands.'

'I knew you would understand.' he says and looks out of the window. 'I feel like you always have.'

'I try to.' I respond. 'People always say that you guys owe everything to me, but that's so not true. I didn't even ask you if you wanted to be in the band, I just put you in there.'

'And I appreciate it every single day, believe me.' He smiles at me. 'I have enjoyed my time with the lads, but the music that we're making, isn't the music I feel like making. I think I need to grow as a person and artist on my own.'

I nod. 'If that's what you want, it's what you want Zayn. None of those guys would want to see you unhappy trapped in the band. They want to see you grow, and be happy. Trust me.'

'I talked to Simon. On March eighteenth will be my last performance.'

'So it's officially decided?' I ask him, and he nods in confirmation. 'I'll miss seeing you together with the lads.'

He tears up a bit. 'I'll miss all of you too, but I think I'm ready for this new chapter.'