The Unknown

I startle awake. I must have fallen asleep in the car...

"Everything alright sweetpea?" Dad asks.

I nod. "I just fell asleep." I smile not wanting to mention what I just saw.

"Okay. Well, we are almost to Meriah's house. Your mom is working today, and I have things I-" He pauses "I still have things I need to do."

I nod "O-okay..."

"Sweetpea? What's wrong?" Dad asks.

"Nothing. I'm alright. It's just been a... Very long day." I sigh.

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing." I don't feel like I can tell even him anything after what I just saw.

"Alphino. I need you to tell me or I can't help you" Dad says his tone more strict than normal.

"People are afraid of me aren't they?" I ask knowing the answer, that yes. Everyone if afraid of what I am.

"Sweetpea. They aren't afraid of you, or of me. They are afraid of what they don't understand. They don't understand us." Dad smiles.

I nod.

We end up at Meriah's house and dad leaves after I get settled in.

"Oh- h-hey Alpha. We didn't think you were coming over today" Nera startes.

"Neither did I, but here I am. So I mean" I chuckle slightly and shrug.

"Alphino, welcome. I didn't know you were coming today" Mr. Maison Nera and Kacey's father a wolf with light blue eyes, salt and pepper colored hair, with black ears and tail smiles at me.

"Neither did I. Granted I fell asleep in the car. But my father never told me where we are going, he doesn't really anymore." I let out a soft sad chuckle. My head downcast.

"Hey. Is everything alright?" Mr. Maison asks sitting down next to me.

I nod "Yeah, just a bit stressed. Thanks" I force a smile.

"Alphino, darling. I can tell your more than just stressed." He says.

I blink back tears "I-I'm the Ultima. Everyone is afraid of what I am, I don't belong anywhere and I don't even know... I don't even know where I stand with my best friend wither he's afraid of me, wither he is my friend... The only people who know are you all, my family and one of my teachers. T-this is something that could get my entire family killed and I have to keep to myself. I'm even afraid of myself sometimes." My voice quivers and despite me efforts tears run down my face. "I'm fourteen but yet I have all this stress a-a-and I... I just don't know how to deal with all of this mess."

"Oh Alphino, dear. You've been through so much, and you haven't even asked for help or anything in return. Your a blessing that most people should feel lucky to have in their lives. You do know that people can't help you unless you ask. Alphino-dear, is there anything I can do to help you in any way?" he asks.

"I-I don't know. That's why I haven't ask yet." I sob.

"Oh Alphino-dear. It's alright. If you ever need anything- Did your mother give you a phone yet?" Mr. Masion asks.

I nod.

"Would you like my phone number so that whenever you need help that you can contact me?" He asks.

I-I don't know to be honest... This is honestly quite odd and I don't know how to feel about it.

Mr. Masion smiles "How about I get Nera and Kacey to give you their phone numbers?" He answers off my look.

I nod. "My biggest concern is that... I don't know if I can trust my father...."

"Why is that?"

Oh no... I said that out loud... "Well, you know..." I pause buying myself a second to think "He left me in fourth grade and, now that I'm in ninth grade he decides he wants to help me. Doesn't that sound a bit... Sceptical?" I ask. The words feel false in my mouth even. But it is true just not the whole truth...

"Makes sense. I-I don't really trust him either... I get it Meriah trusts him, but with- no, I shouldn't worry you with that." Mr. Maison sighs.

"Mr. Maison.. Please, why don't you trust my father" I try

"I-" he sighs "Well... Years ago... No, I-I can't. Not right now."

My phone buzzes. I check it.

"ALPHINO! Where are you!?!?" Mom

"Mom? I'm at the Maison's... Did dad not tell you he brought me here?"

"He didn't. Do you want me to pick you up?"

"That's up to you"

Mom takes a second "You can stay for now. I'll get you in about an hour okay?"

"Okay."

I sigh. "Dad didn't tell mom he brought me here. So she's going to pick me up in about an hour."

Mr. Maison nods. "Understandable. Wait, someones... Your friend, the male Alpha from your school is here."

Why would Aaron be here? This is the pup's house, and unless he saw dad's car he wouldn't know I'm here.

The doorbell rings.

"I got it!" Nera shouts and gets the door. "Alpha hi! C-come in"

"Hey Nera. You don't mind do you?" Aaron asks.

"No, I don't mind, and I'm sure my family won't either. So Alpha what brings you here?" Nera shuts the door. She's buying me time.

"Do you hear them?" Mr. Maison asks.

I nod.

"Your eyes aren't changed so if you want you can go to him."

I nod and get up.

"Nera darling, who's at the door?" Mr. Maison asks.

I turn the corner to gain sight. I don't want him to see me. Not yet at least.

"I actually just thought I would stop by. Is everything alright Nera, you seem on edge." Aaron asks.

"Aaron? What are you doing here?" I speak up. Nera probably knew I was watching or at least knew I came up.

"Allie? I just came to visit the pups. Did you father drop you off here? I thought he was going to take you straight home." Aaron sighs.

"He did.." I turn away from him.

"Allie, did you know?" Aaron asks.

I shake my head no.

"Alphino... I-I know he is your father, but I-I just don't trust him. He came into your life again so suddenly and I just... I don't trust him..." Aaron explains.

I nod "It's understandable.... Neither do I. I saw something I didn't remember with him, and I-I think..." I look around.

Nera has walked away, but with their excellent hearing it makes me wonder if they can still hear us.

"I don't know why he's back, but I don't think... I don't think that... That he is here for mom and I..." I explain.

"What do you mean?" Aaron asks.

"I just... I don't think he is here to be a family again like he says..."