What Is He Hiding

My mom honks the horn of the car. I didn't realize it's been an hour yet.

"Well, that's my mom, so I should be heading out." I explain.

"Goodbye pups and Mr and Mrs. Maison." I call down the hall.

"Alphino. I-I know it's your business, but just... Don't say too much to your father. He just doesn't feel right..." Aaron warns.

I nod.

"Hey, Allie?" Aaron asks.

"Yes Aaron?"

"I-I..." he sighs "Never mind..."

"Aaron? W-what is it?" I ask.

"Have you had your first kiss yet?" Aaron asks.

"N-no... I-I want my first kiss to be special... Why do you ask?"

"I just wondered... Stay safe my stupid potato."Aaron smiles.

"Hey!" I shout. I might "hate" that but it did make me smile, and I... A-am I developing feelings for Aaron?

"Oh shut up. You stupid potato." Aaron chuckles.

"Aaron... Thank you." I smile.

"For what?" Aaron asks.

"For everything, I-I really like you." I say.

Aaron flushes slightly "W-what?" Aaron asks.

"A-as a friend! I-I meant I like that I have you as a friend." I blush slightly.

Aaron hugs me. "I like you as a friend too you stupid potato." Aaron says, he seems sad. Almost as though my words hurt him. Why? I wonder.

He kisses my on the top of my head "Stay safe Allie."

My blush increases. "I-I'll try..." Did he... Did Aaron just....

"Now go. Your mom must be worried sick about you." Aaron smiles.

I nod not feeling like I can say anything without sounding like I am a unintelligent person.

"What took you so long?" Mom asks.

"I had to gather my things." I lie.

I hate that I've had to lie about things to my parents recently but I don't want to risk it. Especially not with my family...

Mom nods. She looks like she understood.

Dad doesn't get back until a few hours later.

"HOW COULD YOU NOT TELL ME WHERE YOU WERE BRINGING OUR DAUGHTER!?!? I EXPECTED HER HOME. DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT! IF SHE GOT HURT. Lady Elizane... If my daughter got hurt because of you..." Mom shouts

"Look Amber. I'm not the wolf I once was. I wasn't doing experiments with the forever potions on her like before. I wouldn't do that to her." Dad sighs not wanting to argue.

Forever potions? What on Lady Elizane's name is that?

"HOW DARE YOU BRING UP THAT TIME! YOUR A HORRIBLE FATHER AND YOU KNOW WHAT!?!? GET THE HECK OUT OF MY HOUSE. RIGHT NOW. I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOUR DARNED FACE. EVER. AGAIN." Mom shouts.

"Amber... Please. Please don't do that. Please. I'm begging you. I'll be better. I-I'll do better. Please Amber. If you do that, she will have to forget again, and people at her school have seen me. Please just don't do this." Dad pleads.

"Go. Now. I don't want to see you around me or my daughter. Ever. Again." mom stops shouting but she still uses a harsh tone.

"Fine." Dad says, his voice pained and hurt but he does as mom asked and leaves.

Tears stream down my face, I remember this. I remember my parents fighting like this...

Is it a horrible thing to remember the downfall of your once "perfect" family? I don't know much about my father, and now I probably never will...

I remember... When I was little a few years before dad left, we would have fun with giggles and laughter. Our family was a good one. Occasionally dad would act odd sneaking around after dark, but he was always a good father... And friend... I don't know how to respond... To losing him, again...

As much as I don't trust him, before he left least time he was a good father...

"Alphino darling!" Mom calls her voice seems calmed from before.

I quickly wipe my face and make sure she wouldn't see how hurt I am by this.

"Coming mom!" I call back and hurry downstairs to her.

"Hey darling, today one of my best friends from when I was your age is coming over with her husband and children. Is that alright with you?" Mom asks, her eyes are puffy probably from crying.

I nod "Anything for you mom" I smile.

She smiles "Oh my baby girl. Thank you." Mom hugs me.

"Why...?" I ask hugging her back.

"Well, because your an amazing daughter. I love you my little pumpkin." Mom lets me go and boops my on my nose.

"What was that for?" I ask

"Because I love you. Now get out of your uniform and into something nice since we have company." Mom smiles "Oooh maybe wear your light purple dress"

"I don't know if that still fits me mom." I complain, that dress I've never really liked it, it's always been a bit scratchy and it leaves red marks on my skin.

"Well, if it doesn't then pick our something nice." Mom sighs.

I nod "Yes mom."

I hurry to my room

I look in my closet, completely avoiding that one dress and find a light blue one.

I take it out and examine it, about an inch and a half sleeve, the top is a satin material that would be innocent but still shows my curves. Around the stomach is tighter to show more towards curves, then the bottom is a high low with the front ending at about my knees and the back at my ankles. The skirt is flowabe enough so I can walk even with the slight frill.

I sigh and slide it on. It's a bit tight around my body and it's a little difficult to get on, but when I do I can breathe easy and it looks stunning on me.

I tie my hair up in a high low style with two braids going from the front to the back. I slide a black headband on with it.

I look at myself in the mirror. I barely even recognize myself.

Something scratches my arm and I look down. A tag, I look at it.

"Lady Elizane inspired satin, elegant flow" it reads.

"$350"

"I hope you like, your mother never told me your size, but I do hope you like it. Sincerely, your Father." is written on the back.

Tears run down my face once again.

I grasp the tag and pull, it breaks off and I toss it on the bed.

I wipe my face, I have no clue why I'm crying, if it's because I'm thankful or I hate that he did this. But we have company so I'm not going to risk crying like this today.

I head downstairs, I thought I was fast, but apparently I took longer than I thought. Our guests are already over.