twenty-six

ethan.

i hate parties. i hate parties. i hate parties.

did i mention that i hate parties?

everyone moves around me, finding their own little groups. grayson's with the golfer/tennis/academic geeks, cameron hangs with the keg suppliers, and i stand in the corner alone, gripping tightly to a soda can.

i find myself looking for anna, but i can't focus from the loud music and the bustle of people all around me. but if i found her, she'd just be with liam anyway.

i hate a lot of things, but liam webb is at the very top of my list currently.

usually he's down at #16, but lately it's been rising gradually.

feeling a tap to my shoulder, i spin around, hoping it's the one person i want to see.

frowning, i stare back at a grinning and swaying maddie.

"ethan!" she exclaims hugging her arms around my neck. "you haven't been answering my texts..."

i pat her back awkwardly, trying to escape from her grasp. "are you okay?"

"i'm fineee," she slurs. "by the way, have you seen jackie? she ran off to hang out with some new girl."

pushing her off of me, i take a couple steps back. "stay away from the coolers, maddie. let me know if you need a ride home whenever. i have to find someone."

she's opens her mouth to protest, but i run off before she has the chance to. people knock into me as i scan the crowd, but i push past it.

finally, i see her radiant smile from across the room.

relief floods my body, and i start to head to her.

but then the realization that she's leaning into liam, his arm wrapped around her shoulder, makes me stop.

and suddenly i'm angry.

i have no reason to be, other than the fact that liam's a total jerk.

she looks happy with him and in her little group. jackie touches a part of her outfit, most likely complimenting it. anna smiles and grabs the necklace i picked out, which hangs loosely around her neck.

sighing, i turn away and head off to grayson's group. he smiles when he sees me, and the guys give me a couple fist bumps and hellos. i stand there for awhile, listening to their boring conversations about golf and college. do they have any other traits?

i may be rude and annoying sometimes, but at least i have a personality.

getting bored of the conversation, i turn my attention back to anna's group.

they all crowd around her, making her the center of everyone's attention

i spot liam trying to hand her a red solo cup, and she politely pushes it away. people around her begin to nudge her to the cup, and i feel myself stiffen.

"no," i whisper so only i can hear. "don't take it."

but she glances nervously at everyone watching her, and gingerly accepts the cup from liam's hand. i see him smile in a way that makes my inside turn.

so i look away. focus on something else.

after a couple hours, i can't help but notice that my eyes always travel back to her.

even when i'm sitting on a couch alone, wanting for the party to be over, i'm watching how she interacts.

the way she laughs, and you can tell it's genuine. or when she begins to let her shoulders relax throughout the night. and how she smiles at anyone and everyone.