forty-six

ethan

anna sips on a flute of mock champagne nervously, while holding a smile and engaging in conversation with people i introduce her to.

i can tell the fancy food, lighting, and people make her intimidated, so i try to stay within a close distance all night.

that is until my mom spots us, and ushers over with a smile.

"anna!" her eyes flick to my smiling girlfriend. "you made it. i love your dress, sweetie." i'm relived to hear that her tone is genuine.

"thank you," anna replies sheepishly, smoothing out the bottom. "i hope i'm not too underdressed."

"not at all. has someone introduced you to everyone?"

i step forward a little. "everyone i can call by name, yes. she's met them."

my mother's eyes flick over me, and i see her smile swell. she likes it when i come to these things without complaint, and i realize that i haven't said a negative word about it. if anna weren't here, i definitely would have.

"good," mom replies, giving the two of us a once over. "ethan, i actually have someone i'd like you to meet."

i raise an eyebrow, and i feel anna's eyes on me. "who?" i ask.

"she's very smart and beautiful, and has the wildest humor. i think you two would hit it off," my mom nods.

and here's where her game starts.

anna stiffens beside me, but her smile doesn't falter. it can't, all night. no matter what i do.

"that's okay," i decline politely. "i was actually just going to introduce anna to the jenkins. they just arrived."

"grayson can do that!" she waves off, and spots my brother across the large room. she motions for him to come over, and he does. "gray, introduce anna to more people. ethan, come with me."

i shoot anna an apologetic look as i follow my mom slowly. she forces a smile, with a small thumbs up.

grayson and her begin in an intense and hushed conversation right as i turn away.

"mom," i whisper intently. "i really don't have any interest in meeting this girl."

she gives me a disapproving look. "of course you do. you said you're single, right?"

i hesitate.

"right?" she reiterates, trying to see through me.

"yes," i say through gritted teeth.

she knows. there's no way that she doesn't have the faintest clue at this point.

"then follow me," she simply says, leading me across the room of dazzling people and sounds of laughter.

a girl— maybe a little younger than me— stands by a man i vaguely recognize. he looks important, though.

"ethan," my mom says, putting on a big smile. "this is richard vasquez. he's an investor that's thinking of working with us."

of course.

this is why she wants me to meet his daughter.

"nice to meet you," i reply, shaking the grey haired man's hand.

the brunette behind him peeks out a little bit, offering me a shy smile.

"and this is my daughter, grace," mr. vasquez nods, nudging her out more.

i give her a closed mouth smile and avoid her dim eyes. she doesn't want to be here either, i can tell.

my mom nudges me, and i introduce myself, even though she already did thirty seconds ago. "hi, i'm ethan."