fifty-three

anna

"w-what?" i ask in disbelief.

lisa grimaces slightly. "i'm so sorry, anna. i'm so thankful for the assistance you've offered my family over the summer, but i'm afraid we're going to have to cut it short."

the first thing i think of is ethan.

"why?"

"just no need for your position anymore, and i have your referral done. i'm sending it in a bit. i'm so glad you were able to stay with us," she says, but something in her facial expressions tells me that she's spewing complete lies.

"i thought... i thought i had until the end of the summer?" i question, trying to keep a professional composure. "am i supposed to just pack up and leave tomorrow?"

lisa sighs a little. "tonight, actually."

and this time, i don't stop my raising voice.

"what?" i practically yell. "this doesn't make any sense, mrs. dolan. i thought we had an agreement."

"things change, anna," she says softly. "i'm sorry that this is upsetting you so much. i truly didn't think it would."

bull. that's such bull.

"so i'd suggest you take the day packing everything back up and saying your goodbyes to everyone."

i shake my head, still unable to process the words. "i'm just... i'm still so confused."

"we'll talk more about it later," she smiles. "i would recommend packing things up, and i'll be back soon from the post office."

she doesn't give me any time to respond before slipping back out the door.

i stand in my kitchen, dumbfounded at the things that just came out of her mouth.

what am i supposed to do about ethan?

"we had until the end of the month," i mumble weakly to myself, glancing around the house at all of my belongings.

he must not know, because if he did he'd be right back here and spending as much time with me as possible.

but i don't want to be the one to tell him.

so instead, i call my dad.

he picks up on the third ring. "anna? what's up?"

"dad," i say, trying to stop my voice from breaking. "i think i'm coming home a little early."

"what?" he asks. "what happened? are you crying?"

tears leak down my cheeks as i tell him about everything, starting from the first time i saw ethan and ending up at this morning. he listens so quietly, i check multiple times to see if the call hung up. but he never does. i cry through some of it, and laugh and smile during others.

at the end when it's all done, i wipe my nose with my sleeve and say, "well?"

"anna," he says softly. "i'm so sorry. is there anything you can do to get her to change her mind?"

i shake my head, forgetting he can't see me. "no. we've tried. we've tried to get her to like me. i know that this is about ethan and i, and not about her not actually needing my position anymore."

he's silent for a moment. "what're you going to do?"

"that's your job to tell me!" i exclaim. "what do i do?"

he sighs. "so you like him. like, how much?"

i hesitate. slightly awkward. "a lot, dad. i like him a lot."

"would you say you... you know..." he trails off.

"yes, dad. i love him."

"and this is the ethan dolan we're talking about?" he almost laughs. "i remember him being kind of quiet."

"that's not the point," i sniffle. "i don't know what to do or how to tell him."

"look," he sighs. "if he loves you like you seem to love him... distance is nothing. it's simply added space."

distance means nothing.

                                       «»«»«»

by noon, lisa has stopped in and given me my summer paycheck and ticket back to new jersey. for tonight at 7 pm. i don't hide my cold looks as i take it from her grasp, and watch as she leaves once again.

all morning i've debated calling ethan. but i know that if i do, i'll have to face telling him.

and i can't do that.

time ticks fast as i put off texting him for an hour. then another. and then another.

my huge suitcase full of clothes is packed at around 2, and the rest of the things i brought are shoved in with it, or in my carry on.

the feeling of a heavy heart is a real thing— i can confirm it. it weighs down my movements all afternoon.

i glance around the small guest house and reminisce in the memories i made in the past two months and a couple days.

ethan sneaking in my window at least four times a week.

the time we played scrabble at 4 am.

the necklace he clasped around my neck.

when he brought me home after the party where i got drunk for the first time, and stayed with me until i fell asleep.

when i fell into my bed, giggling happily after we kissed on the beach.

walking around numbly after getting into one of our little arguments.

then him showing up and apologizing.

napping and sleeping in the bed, and the feeling of his heartbeat keeping me sane through the nights.

kissing him for hours and then being sad when he had to leave.

and i never got the guts to tell him i loved him.

not in any of those moments.

i'm about to lay on my couch and continue crying when i hear a thud come from my room.

my heart races, already knowing who it is.

"ethan?" i call out, hopping up and rushing into the room.

just as i thought, he's there.

his eyes look different than they usually do, but not necessarily bad.

"i have something to tell you—"

i'm immediately cut off by his lips, but this kiss is full of desire and passion.

"just please stop talking," he breathes out. "and let me tell you something."

i grab his face with my hands. "what?" i ask in between the kisses.

"i'm in love with you."