forty-seven

anna

a slight breeze on my neck makes me shiver a little bit, causing me to turn around.

ethan's face makes me jump back a little bit, but immediately smile after. "hey," i say. "how'd it go with—"

"shh," he urges, putting a finger to my lips and looking quickly at the people around us. they seem to engrossed in their own conversations to notice ours.

before i can say a word, he gently grabs my hand and begins to drag me out of the large room.

"ethan," i laugh once we're in the hall. "what are you doing?"

he gives me a sly look. "just trust me, okay? your hesitation to follow me is making me less and less inclined to do what i'm about to do."

i shrug and follow him to none other than the coat room.

even in the summer, people still feel the need to wear extra layers, just to seem fancier. apparently unnecessary jackets scream out your wealth.

when he shuts the door behind us, i feel a surge of butterflies attack my stomach.

his hand finds a light switch on the wall, and the smallish room is filled with a dim light.

"why're we in the coat closet—"

ethan cuts me off by gently pushing me against the wall, and immediately finding my lips with his.

the feeling of us so close together has been what i've needed all night. seeing him being dragged away to be set up with another girl was a horrible feeling for me, and i was afraid she and him would hit it off.

but by the way he's kissing me— it's clear they didn't.

it feels rushed and slightly sloppy as his tongue slips into my mouth.

smiling a little bit, i wrap my arms loosely around his neck, and he moves from my lips to my jaw, kissing any square inch of exposed skin.

"okay," i breathe out after a little bit. "clearly something happened with the girl. what's wrong?"

"i never knew how much we just fit together until i was forced to try and be with someone else."

the words make me melt.

"ethan, you're getting soft on me," i warn, but we both know i secretly love it.

he grins. "sorry, i just needed to kiss you. not even kidding. literally if i didn't find you at the time i did, i think i would've exploded into a ball of fire."

"like the witch in the wizard of oz?"

"yes, an," he laughs. "like the witch."

i tip his chin back down for a small peck in the lips. he wants more— i can tell, but i want to test him.

how little is he willing to let me give, and still not try to suggest anything?

obviously he says nothing more, but still embraces me tightly. his chest moves rhythmically against mine for a couple minutes, and then the closet becomes hot.

"you go out first. i'll meet you back in there," ethan instructs, letting go of me.

i nod and slip out of the closet quickly. the air conditioning feels like instant relief, and i dab my forehead with the back of my hand before going back into the large room.

people are still chatting and eating hors d'oeuvres, and drinking white wine.

this is too fancy for me.