05 | now

Noble Creek High,
Senior year,
Present day

Noble Creek High,Senior year,Present day

Hunter was walking away from me.

This was an awfully familiar sight. The memories of that awful and frustratingly unforgettable day came back to me in a flashback. The one day I wished it never existed. The one day where I lost the person I loved with my whole heart. The one day where I came to know of the horrible, heartbreaking truth.

I shook my head and pushed the memories to the back of my head. Where it belongs. Now, I had to focus on setting things right. And getting out of here.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I said as my voice echoed through the empty library.

Hunter halted in his step but didn't turn around, indicating to me that he was listening.

Swallowing my pride, I continued. "I'm sorry for being a bitch. That was uncalled for, I know. I can't find a way out of here without your help so can we please just forget whatever that happened between us—momentarily—and work together?" I sighed. "Look, I don't want to be trapped in here where there are limited ventilation and zero food. There's no point in arguing when we can be efficient and find a solution together." I said hopefully.

I had to make peace. Because like I said, there was no point in fighting with each other when we can focus on getting out of here and never seeing each other's faces again. I don't want to be stuck here and I definitely do not want to be stuck here with him. So, the sooner I find an out, the sooner I can get home to my safe haven.

Hunter finally turned around and sighed. "Okay, fine. Let's just call it a truce."

"Let's do that," I said feeling a little awkward. "So, now what?"

He looked away and put on his thinking look. Then, all of a sudden, he snapped his fingers. "Your phone!"

My eyes widened as hope started to develop in my chest again. "Yes! My phone!"

Without further ado, I ran up the stairs as fast as I could with Hunter right on my trail. I quickly ran to the spot I was seated at earlier on and picked up my handphone from the cold floor.

"Damn it, it's dead!" I said with frustration.

I actually kind of saw this coming because the last time I checked my phone, it was at five percent. Listening to music always takes up my battery. I always tell myself to bring a portable charger but I forget it every single time. Damn you, short-term memory! Why do you even exist?!

I was hoping there would at least be two percent of battery so I could send a text to someone but I never have any luck like that. The man above the skies must really have something against me. I'm sure of it.

"What about yours?" I asked looking at Hunter with a little hope.

"It's in my locker." He said scratching the back of his neck.