14 | then

Noble Creek High,
Sophomore year,
Day 229

Working at Nighty Night has gradually become more fun and exciting

Hunter had decided to be less torturous and more bearable. I was internally thankful for his positive change of attitude because if not, I would be pulling my hair in frustration.

During my time here, I've become closer to Ray and Rudy as well. Rudy is such a funny and light-hearted guy. I've come to know that he graduated from college just last year with a business degree. He had many offers from various companies, but Ray needed his help in the store, and he didn't hesitate to help his father.

Rudy works here as the admin staff of Nighty Night. They couldn't hire anyone else at the beginning because of financial matters. So, he single-handedly handles the overflowing admin matters. My respect for him increased tenfold. But for his sake, I hope they hire someone to help him. Especially since the store was doing well right now.

Ray, on the other hand, is such a kind person at heart and is definitely one of the purest people I have ever met. It made me wish I had a father like him.

That reminds me of how I heard Hunter calling Ray 'dad' one day. I was confused as to why he would call his uncle 'dad'. It made me question where Hunter's parents were and what kind of relationship Hunter had with Ray.

From the trio's daily conversations, I gathered that Hunter lives with Ray and Rudy. I became more and more curious about Hunter as I got more information. But I had to be subtle because I didn't want to seem like a stalker. That would be really embarrassing.

As I was arranging the books on the 'Romance' section, I saw a lady—who was probably in her twenties—walking around with a distressed look. Her appearance caused me to gape at her because she was definitely the definition of beautiful. I couldn't help but be stunned by her stunning features.

"I didn't know you batted for the other team," said Hunter with his lips very close to my ears, making my breath hitch.

I turned around and found him smirking at me as I gave him a bemused look. "You know that's not true."

"I don't, actually." He crossed his arms.

"I was just admiring her beauty. That doesn't suddenly make me gay."

He stared at me deep in thought. "If you wanted to admire beauty, you could have just looked in the mirror." He said in the most serious tone he ever had used.

My jaw dropped at his very smooth line. Did he just- Did I even hear that right? Did Hunter Knight just indirectly call me beautiful?

Looking at my speechless state, he suddenly burst out laughing. He even held his stomach and wiped a tear from his face as an effect of his exaggerative laughter.

My cheeks burned in embarrassment as I stared at him with a scowl. Of course, he would play me like that. Why did I ever think that Hunter would ever find me beautiful?