08 | then

Noble Creek High,
Sophomore year,
Day 208

Many days had passed and I still hadn't been able to find a job in this small town of Noble Creek

Many days had passed and I still hadn't been able to find a job in this small town of Noble Creek. So, I'm officially in panic mode. Not that I wasn't unofficially.

Mom has been giving me suspicious glances here and there and each time she does that, I just want to blurt out, 'I lost my job, I'm sorry!'. I don't think I can hold it in any longer so, I have to find a job soon.

I've been searching for jobs on the internet but the hirers were only looking for full-timers. How are people like me going to survive if no one wants part-timers?! So, that is why I'm currently walking around town aimlessly, hoping that one of the stores or cafes would take walk-in interviews.

But my hope keeps getting reduced each time I walk past a store or a cafe because they're not hiring. What if I can't get a job? What am I going to do? Mom will struggle even further and I'll just become a useless family member. My eyes turned watery at the thought of me being unable to get a job.

Just as my hope was about to be crumbled into tiny little pieces, I saw a poster that says 'Hiring for Part-time! Walk-ins are encouraged!' My eyes instantly sparkled as hope developed fully in my chest. Thank you oh so kind heavens!

I looked up to find a sign with the words, 'Nighty Night Books & Co.'. I shifted my gaze to the see-through door of the store and saw many bookshelves worth of books. That's when it hit me. It was a bookstore! This can't be a coincidence. This must be fate's way of telling me that I'm destined to love reading.

With a happy smile, I walked inside the bookstore. The walls were purely white and the color of the bookshelves was a mix of blue and green giving off ocean vibes. The warm white colored chandelier on the ceiling shined brightly enough for the whole room to feel elegant yet cozy. This was such a beautiful store and so different from the ones I've seen.

After admiring the beauty of the store, I made a move to go to the cashier where I could enquire about the job. I saw a man—who was probably in his fifties—in a navy blue bib apron which had the words 'Nighty Night' sewn on the front in cursive. He was serving a customer with a friendly smile so, after the customer left, I approached him.

"Hi, I saw that you were hiring and I was wondering if I could interview for the part-time job?"

The man instantly smiled and raised his hand towards me to which I accepted by shaking his hand.

"Hi, I'm Rayson, but you can call me Ray. I'm the owner of the store."

"Oh, I'm Hera."

"Well, Hera. Usually, I would conduct the interview but I'm a little busy right now so my nephew will do it instead. Let me bring you to our break room and you just wait there for him, okay?" He said with a kind smile.

I nodded and followed behind him. Ray opened a door near the cashier counter and let me step in first. There were two couches facing each other with a table in between them. There was also a small kitchen on the other side of the room where there were a coffee machine and some assortments of snacks laying on the tabletop.