12 | then

Noble Creek High,
Sophomore year,
Day 220

I'm petrified That you're dying by designWaste every day Until you're wasted and afraidI hope it doesn't hurtThat I don't make it worseI'll always feel this far away

I'm petrified
That you're dying by design
Waste every day
Until you're wasted and afraid
I hope it doesn't hurt
That I don't make it worse
I'll always feel this far away

As the voice of the artist resonated through the walls of the school's dance studio, I felt the mellifluous music in my soul and moved my body to its heartfelt rhythm.

But I, I will lay down by your side
I will keep an open eye
While you stare into the sun
Promise me you're done

Back and forth, I swayed to the pleasant beat as my mind was completely free of thoughts. My focus was solely on the beautiful sound of the music that soothed me entirely.

I'm not surprised
Or in love like I was last night
Hold down the floor
'Cause I'm not dancin' anymore
As long as I'm awake
I'll live with my mistakes
I'll always feel this far away

Mouthing the lyrics with my eyes closed, I related to the essence of the song and danced in sharp yet elegant movements that embodied my feelings and released my emotions.

But I, I will lay down by your side
I will keep an open eye
While you stare into the sun
Promise me you're done
Promise me you're done, done, oh

Breathing loudly, I stayed in my final pose for a few seconds before dropping to the ground as I wiped off the bits of sweat that formed on my forehead with the back of my hand.

"Who knew you actually had a talent?" said a voice out of nowhere causing me to jump in shock.

"Hunter?! What- How-" I stuttered not knowing exactly what to say.

He smirked. "I stalked you." He said in a serious tone.

I looked at him for a while to see if he was joking or not. It seemed like he did but it also seemed like he didn't. As I was blatantly staring at his face, he laughed at me.

"Why are you laughing?" I frowned.

"You seriously thought I would stalk you?" He smirked again.

I rolled my eyes and looked away in annoyance. But he decided to be more annoying.

"Why would I go stalking you when I clearly have better things to do?"

"If you had better things to do, then why the hell were you watching me dance like a creep?" I asked glaring at him.

"I was actually wondering who the hell was noisily stomping the floor. Turns out it was you."

I gasped. "How dare you call my dancing stomping?!" I got up to my feet and slapped his arm. "Apologize now!" I pettily asked.