20 | then

Noble Creek High,
Sophomore year,
Day 239

Noble Creek High,Sophomore year,Day 239

Hunter has been avoiding me.

It's been a whole week and I haven't seen him since that day. The day we kissed. And it is safe to say that I am profoundly pissed.

He can't just kiss me and evade me like nothing happened. He can't do that. Heck, no one should do that. At first, I thought maybe its just nothing and that I was overthinking. Then, I went to work and Rudy had told me that he wasn't working. I thought maybe he just needed space.

Two days later, I went to the school library as I was vastly sure that he would be there. It was his favorite place after all. But to my shock, displeasure, and slight anger, he wasn't there. Emily had told me that he hasn't been there in the past few days.

So, I came to the arduous conclusion that he was indeed avoiding me. But I am not going to tolerate this any longer. I have feelings and I'm not going to let him toy with it. I'm going to gather all the confidence in me, walk up to him—trap him if I have to—and confront the hell out of him.

It is Operation Hunt the Hunt all over again. But this time the mission isn't going to be easy to accomplish because Hunter is so damn good at being out of my sight. So, I'm going to take a possibly dangerous approach. But not without any support.

"Nina! I need your help with something." I said as I stood beside her while she opened her locker.

"I'll help you if you talk to Newt."

Newt. Just thinking about him breaks my heart. I feel like a horrible person for not noticing his feelings. I feel way more horrible for not being able to return his feelings. One-sided crush sucks. But it sucks, even more, when it's your best friend.

I still didn't understand why Newt would even like me. It doesn't make any sense. Did I accidentally lead him on? Did I somehow give him the erroneous conception that I liked him? Because if I did, I'll just feel extra horrible about myself.

So, since thinking about him was remorseful and painful, I just didn't. I avoided him the whole week just like how Hunter was avoiding me. I channeled my every thought on Hunter, so I didn't have to think about Newt.

"Nina-"

"No, Hera, It's been too long. When are you going to stop running away from your problems? Newt thinks you hate him, Hera."

"He does?"

"Yes. I had to convince him multiple times that it's not true and that you need time because you're just taken aback by all this. You can't run away any longer, Hera. I know this is hard on you as well, but I also know that you can't lose Newt. If you don't talk to him, you will lose him."

"I know," I whispered.

"So, go talk to him now. Get your friend-slash-brother back."

"But, Nina, what if he doesn't want me to be his friend anymore?" I asked as my voice cracked a little.