25 | now

Noble Creek High,
Senior year,
Present day

My aim was to get away from Hunter as far as possible but I only managed to get to Emily's front desk because he grabbed my wrist and turned me around to face him

"Hera, I love you."

Shock filled my whole body as I felt my heart beating erratically at Hunter's words. The ones I haven't heard in three whole months.

Hunter held both of my arms and had a determined look on. "I still love you and I have never stopped loving you even for one moment. You have to believe me when I say everything I told Melanie that day was a huge lie."

All of a sudden, it got really hard to breathe and that had me hyperventilating. "W-what are you saying?"

"I'm saying that it was all a ploy to get Melanie to confess. I was seriously stupid for trying to do all of that on my own. I should've told yo-"

Hunter's lips were still moving but the sound of his voice was starting to fade away. I felt dizzy and lightheaded and it just got harder to breathe by the second. I couldn't think straight and all the strength in me was disappearing at a moderate speed.

"Hera, are you okay?" I heard Hunter's voice faintly along with a door unlocking sound.

Out of nowhere, there was a white blinding light shining on us coming straight from the library's entrance. But that was all I could see because all of my consciousness had left me right there and then.

< ~ >

"I can't believe she was locked in the school library the entire night. This is madness. Should we sue the school for this?"

"Let's just wait for Hera to wake up, okay? We will handle all that later."

Slowly opening my eyes, I realized that I was on an unfamiliar and uncomfortable bed. I took in everything I could see and that's when it hit me that I was in a hospital room with an IV drip needle attached to my arm. What the hell am I doing here?

"Oh Hera, you're finally awake. Oh God, I was so scared." Mom said holding my hand.

"Mom? Elias? What are you guys doing here? What am I doing here?"

"Honey, you fainted after being locked in your school's library the whole night. The doctor said you passed out of emotional stress and hyperventilation. But you're okay now. You're safe." She said squeezing my hand as an act of comfort.

"Oh." Just then, something popped into my mind. "Hunter. Where is Hunter? Is he okay?"

"He is fine. He's actually waiting outside right now. I told him to go home but he refused. Do you want to see him? It's okay if you don't want to."

As everything that had happened last night resurfaced in my head, I remembered the last thing he told me and I think I definitely have to see him. "Yeah, I want to see him."