Moments

The tree was still a bit of a walk, but not nearly as bad as racing across the entire garden. It was even bigger than I thought it was. It seemed to tower above us as we approached it. I couldn't help being amazed by it.

As I stepped into the cool shade I examined it closer. It was a giant oak. The branches spread off somewhere into the sky. It seemed like the gardeners kept it neatly trimmed though. The trunk was so large Arthur and I could have both wrapped our arms around it and never have touched. I felt so small standing next to it.

A click interrupted these thoughts. I turned to Arthur. He glared down at his camera.

"Damn, I knew I should have used the flash," he muttered. "I guess it's clear enough, but I definitely need flash for the others."

He started adjusting his camera. I couldn't help smiling. Did he even look at the tree? I guess his work would always be number one. Not that I really minded. I loved that passionate nature of his. He was trying to capture something much bigger than the tree. I still wasn't exactly sure what that thing was though.

He was busy focusing on his camera, so I took the opportunity to look around the tree. I placed my hand on the bark. It felt rough against my hand as I circled the trunk. I stared up into the endless branches. The leaves were so thick I could only see the faintest traces of light through them. When I got about halfway around I noticed something hanging from one of the branches.

I went over to look at it closer. It was an old swing. The trunk must have hidden it from view as we walked up. It didn't look in bad shape, but it must have been there for years.

Two worn ropes were knotted tightly around a sturdy branch. They fell down like thick vines, leading to a well-aged plank of dark wood. It looked like it had been varnished at one time, but that had long since worn off. The remains of some tattered ribbons dangled near the bottom of the seat.

It had probably been very beautiful once. I wondered how many children had played here. Had Mr. Weston played here once? I pressed the seat gently with my fingertips. It was a little big to be a child's swing though. Was it something for adults then?

I smiled thinking about the couples that may have rested in the shade before us. Hand in hand enjoying the day. Smiling and laughing as they swung and pushed each other. Something you expected to see in a classic painting. Or picture, in Arthur's case. The swing swayed slightly in the breeze. The temptation was too great. I couldn't help myself.

I gingerly sat on the wooden seat, afraid it might shatter beneath me. I didn't feel anything breaking. After a moment, I relaxed and put my full weight on it. It creaked slightly but otherwise seemed fine. I wrapped my hands around the old ropes. They were frayed but soft with age.

The swing was facing towards the mansion. Everything looked still inside as if it were empty. Unless Philip was there already, I guess it was. What really amazed me was that it looked half the size in the distance. God, how far had we walked?

I smiled, remembering my desperate attempt to keep pace with Arthur this morning. Maybe it would be good to work out more. At the very least I should work on my cardio. I doubted this would be the last time he'd want to do something like this.

I could see the light of the garden taking on a slight orange tint as the sun dipped lower in the sky. What time was it now? I should invest in a watch for days like this. Dinner was probably around sunset. That would have to be my timetable for now.

Suddenly, Arthur raced around the trunk. He looked around frantically. Shock, then relief filled his face as he saw me. I smiled and nodded to him vaguely. He frowned a bit.