5| Danger Zone!

"What the hell are you doing here, Nathan?"

My eyes met Karma's in the mirror. I knew that tone of hers intimately. Even though it sent chills down my spine, I tried to be nonchalant about it.

I gestured around the room. "Isn't it obvious?"

She stalked towards me and crossed her arms over her chest. "I'm serious. Is this some kind of joke?"

I slowly-and painfully-got to my feet. When I finally turned towards her, I tried to keep my eyes on her face. Because if I didn't keep my eyes on her face, then I would notice how fucking sexy she looked in the black yoga pants and hospital t-shirt she had on. Both showed off her luscious body well. What made it worse was that I knew what was underneath that uniform.

Think about something else. "Why would I do something like that, Karma? I'm here for therapy."

When she scoffed and turned her head away from me, I rolled my eyes. Sometimes, I knew her a little too well.

"Not this again," I muttered.

"What?"

I gestured towards her. "This cold shoulder thing you do whenever you're pissed at me." I laughed under my breath. "Face it, Karma, this time it wasn't something I did."

When she looked back towards me, there was a look in her eyes that told me she was going to prove me wrong. Goddammit. I hated that. Because she was usually right.

"Oh no?" She cleared her throat and lowered her voice in an attempt to mimic mine. "'Thanks for the help-Nathan'. Really?"

"What? I left a note and I thanked you."

She laughed and dropped her arms. "I take care of you when you have a PTSD attack and-even though it went against every instinct I had-I didn't call Lanie. Then I wake up, you're gone, and I have this brush off note." She shook her head at me. "At least it was more than two words this time."

My head snapped back at her words. I wouldn't have been more surprised if she had slapped me.

"Nathan, I'm sorry," she said quickly. "I shouldn't have-"

I cut her off. "Whatever. At least it wasn't a drink you threw in my face this time." I shrugged and tried to act unaffected. I tried not to think about the pain in her voice when I heard those messages twelve years ago.

"Nathan, where are you? I keep trying to call you. I went to your place after...what is this note about? "

"Nathan," Karma cried into the phone, "whatever I did or said, I'm sorry. I know we can fix this. I love you."

"I'm only leaving this message to let you know that I've left New York city. My family wanted to move and gave me the option to go with them or stay here with my aunt. I think it's best if I go. Fresh start and all that. I said goodbye to Lanie and Harper. This-well, I guess this is my goodbye to you. I know I'll always feel something for you, Nathan, but I am so angry and heartbroken with what you did. I think it's best if we don't see each other again. Goodbye, Nathan. Take care of yourself."

I shook the agonizing memories away and rubbed the back of my neck. "Maybe I should find a new therapist."

An odd expression crossed over Karma's face. "I'm the only one available. Sorry, but it looks like you're stuck with me."

"Isn't this a conflict of interest or something?"

She walked over to a small desk and set her bag down. She logged on to one of the hospital computers and started typing away. "I don't see how. We haven't even seen each other in over twelve years."