12| It Comes In Waves

I flipped the blueberry pancakes I was making in the frying pan. I sent Karma upstairs to take a shower before coming back to eat. After the tearful embrace when she saw me—which I was not expecting—she complained about wanting something to eat and to 'wash the airplane smell off of her'. Personally, I thought she smelled amazing. Focus, Nate. 

I put the now-ready pancakes on a plate and turned the burner off. Karma told me to fix whatever, so I chose this. I remembered how much she liked blueberry pancakes, and it seemed like a good comfort food. I heard the shower cut off upstairs and I leaned against the counter. I still couldn't believe I was here.  

I was here...in Florida. With Karma. When Laine handed me that ticket, I kept telling myself to rip it up and throw it in the trash. I told myself that Karma was a big girl—that she didn't need me. But that's not what I did. Instead, I packed a bag, drove to the airport, and boarded a plane.

Lanie somehow also conveniently had the address for Karma's parents. After I packed my bag and walked out of my room, she was waiting with a piece of paper in her hand. I didn't want to disturb Karma or upset her by going to the hospital, so I got an Uber and came here.  I arrived here about an hour before she had pulled up in the driveway.

But she wasn't pissed that I was here. She was relieved. After she had hugged me, she asked me repeatedly what I was doing here. I told her I would explain everything after she took a shower and got some food in her stomach. That was the deal. Know I had to wait anxiously as I heard her descending the stairs. Looks like I had some explaining to do.

"Hey," Karma breathed as she came around the corner.

I couldn't stop my eyes from rolling over her body. She was wearing short light blue shorts and a matching t-shirt. Her hair was wet and curly and hung over her left shoulder. Seeing her like that...

I cleared my throat and turned to grab the pancakes. "Hey. I made you pancakes."

"Blueberry?"

I gave her a wry grin. "Of course."

"Thank you." She poured some syrup over the pancakes and stuck a very large bite into her mouth. Her sigh of bliss was well worth any anxiety I had about flying out here. At least I was able to do one thing right.

"Feel better?" I asked as she ate a little more.

Her eyes met mine for a moment before she quickly glanced away. She picked up a napkin from the breakfast bar and wiped her mouth.

"What are you doing here, Nathan?"

Ah, there it is. "I always cared about your folks."

Karma scoffed. "Translation: Lanie made you."

"Okay," I said with a laugh, "she may have handed me the plane ticket, but..."

"But what?"

I shrugged. "At first, I wasn't going to come. I thought it wouldn't be the best idea. But then, I thought about it. I knew how much this would affect you. I know you, Karma. I wanted to be here for you."

"Well, I appreciate the thought; but as I said before I can take care of myself. I'm a big girl now."

"Please," I huffed, "you would have starved on that porch if I hadn't have been here."

She sighed with defeat. "Touché. I can't argue that." She smiled, but it was fleeting. "Thank you, Nathan. I'm glad you're here." 

We were both silent for several minutes. She continued eating and I cleaned up the dishes and the mess I made from the pancake batter. Once she was done, I put her plate in the sink and refilled her glass of water.