18| Twisting the Knife

Karma and Nathan
May 30, 2008

When I stepped out of the shower and walked into my bedroom, I glanced at the clock on my bedside table. Karma was supposed to meet me here in one hour. She and I were going to stay at a hotel tonight. Even though her parents weren't to fond of the idea, we were both eighteen. We've been together a year as of two weeks ago. That was a huge deal for me, and I wanted to show her how much she meant to me. So, I planned a whole romantic dinner and a night in a hotel. 

I dried off and threw my towel on the bed. I put on the dress pants I picked out and a matching dress shirt. Jeans were not going to cut it tonight. I packed a small duffle bag since we were staying the night. I threw in the usual: swim shorts, boxers...the little black box. 

I picked up the small velvet box and opened it. I knew we were to young to get married; we both still had a lot of growing up to do. What was in the box was a promise ring. It wasn't anything fancy or expensive. It had a silver band with the infinity symbol in the center.

I knew Karma was the one for me. I thought about our future together all the time. Then I was at this store with Lanie one day and I saw the ring. It was less than one hundred dollars, but it was perfect. I came back later that day when I was alone to buy it. I've been holding on to the damn thing for months. I've been waiting for the right time to give it to her; and this was it. 

I tossed the box back into my duffle and finished getting dressed. Karma would not be happy if I was late for our extended date. My parents were a little hesitant about me running off alone with Karma. I explained to them since we got together that she was different for me. I loved Karma. I've never felt anything like what I felt for her. They were reluctant but eventually they were on board. As long as I treated her right, my dad had said. I shook my head at that. Sometimes I think my parents loved her more than me!

Knock-knock-knock

I frowned and looked at my clock again. Karma was really early. 

"One sec!" I called as I jogged to the front door. I opened the door and frowned. "Mrs. M?"

She had a warm smile on her face and a large manilla envelope in her hands.  "Hello, Nate. May I come in?" 

"Of course." I stepped back and held the door open for her. "Is Karma okay?"

She stepped inside and I closed the door behind her. "Yes, she's fine." She had a hard time meeting my gaze and I started to get nervous. "I understand that you and Karma and going away for a couple days."

"Yes, ma'am." Fuck. I hope she wasn't going to say Karma couldn't go. I mean, knowing Karma, she was going to find a way to come with me anyway. "I hope that's okay. Karma said she told you." 

"She did," Mrs. M stated before she took a deep breath. "Nate, I need you to do something for me."

I frowned. "Anything." 

There was an intensity in her eyes that made me uneasy. "I want you to take Karma away for the weekend. I want you two to have an amazing time for your anniversary." She hesitated before she added, "Then when it's over, I want you to end it with her." 

My eyes went wide and my breath nearly stopped. It felt like someone punched me in my gut. "What? I can't—I can't do that. I love her. Why do you want me to break up with her? Have I done something wrong?" 

"No, sweetheart," she said softly. She held out the envelope to me. "Open this." 

I took the envelope and pulled out the papers inside. Each word I read was a stab in the heart. "I didn't know she applied to USF."