29| Edge of a Cliff

"Happy birthday!" Lanie came running up to me with a huge smile and threw her arms around me.

"Thank you, L." She pulled away from me and I gestured to the guests. "I told you not to do this."

She waved my statement away. Just like she always did. "Never mind that. You know you love it." She looked to Karma. "You told him, didn't you?"

"No, I didn't"
"Yes, she did."

Lanie rolled her eyes. "I knew you couldn't keep a secret, Karma. No matter," she said with a smile. "You managed to bring him here. I can't be mad at that." Lanie clapped her hands together. "Alright! Go mingle! There's food in the kitchen and presents on the table."

Lanie sauntered off towards Ayden and I let out a nervous breath. My anxiety was not good right now. Nope. Not at all.

"Happy birthday, mate," Jackson drawled as he came over. He was carrying my nephew who reached his little arms out to me with a smile.

"Thanks, Jackson." I gestured to Karma. "Have you met Karma? She's an old friend of Harper and Lanie's."

I didn't know how it would sound if I said she was my ex. Or my current-sometimes-fuck-buddy. Yeah, that was a little hard to explain.

Jackson smiled and offered her his hand. "I don't think I've had the pleasure. It's nice to meet you. I'm Jackson Reese."

Karma smiled when she recognized the name and shook his hand. "Yes. You're Harper's fiancée, right?"

Something passed over Jackson's expression. I heard they were having issues. "Yes," he said before clearing his throat. "I actually promised her a drink. I'll see you to around."

Following Jackson was Ryan, Danielle, Jaime, and Ayden. They all wished me a happy birthday and we had some non-important small talk. There was music playing throughout the house as some of the party goers danced and ate.

Feeling overwhelmed, I walked into the kitchen and opened a bottle of Jack. My hand shook as I poured it. "Fuck."

"I got it."

Karma took the bottle from me and poured me a glass before she poured one for herself.

"Thanks."

She took a sip of the whiskey and watched me over the rim of her glass. "You okay?"

I took a large gulp and nodded. "Yeah. It's just a lot. I haven't drank much lately, so I guess I'm feeling more these past few days."

That wasn't a good thing. I was feeling my anxiety more. I was feeling alone. I was feeling...I looked up at Karma.

"Why aren't you out there mingling with the masses?" I asked quietly.

She sighed and leaned against the counter. "Honestly, everyone's lives have changed so much over the past decade. I love them and I miss them, but they almost feel like—"

"Strangers?"

Her eyes met mine. "Yeah."

"Karma? There you are!" A petite blonde woman came barging into the kitchen and embraced Karma.

"Abby, I'm glad you made it!" Once they pulled apart, Karma introduced us. "Abby, this is Nathan."

Abby looked over at me and ran her gaze over my body. She wasn't checking me out, she was doing the job of best friend.

I offered her my hand. "It's nice to meet you."

She took my hand and glanced to Karma. "Damn, girl. He is fine."