38| Bad Idea, Good Intentions

"Open the damn door, Nate! Or I'm going to bust it down!" Lanie's annoying little sister voice made me cringe.

"You can't bust that down," Ayden told her. "You'll break your ankle or something."

"Fine. Then you do it."

"Why would I do it?"

Lanie scoffed. "Weren't you special forces? And don't argue with me. You'll do it because I'm your fiancee and I said so!" More pounding. "Open up, asshole!"

"Go away," I yelled back.

After I left Karma's last night, I went to Down the Rabbit Hole and got hammered. Eventually, Roger and I argued about cutting me off. Then he called me a cab and sent me home. Luckily, Ayden and Lanie had been asleep. Not so much now. It was almost three in the afternoon. I had missed calls and texts from Lanie checking to see how I was feeling. When I didn't answer, she called Karma. And well...

"That's it! Bust the door down, Ayden."

"I'm not going to do that, Lanie."

I covered my face with my blanket. Maybe if I stayed quiet long enough, they would both go away. But who was I kidding? Lanie was incessant.

"Why not?"

"Becasue he clearly wants to be alone right now. When he's ready to talk, he'll come out."

No, I wont, actually.

"No, he wont," my sister said. "He's going to stay in his cave and wallow about this shit until it ruins him. If it hasn't already."

I could hear Ayden's frustrated sigh. "Then let him wallow. It's not our place to meddle. You should know that better than anyone."

"The hell it's not! Karma is my best friend, and this is the second time he's hurt her for no reason!" Another bang of her little fist on my door. "Open the door, Nate, so I can kick your ass ten ways to Tuesday!"

"Wow," Ayden snickered, "what is this, the 90's?

"Shut up," she whined.

I was tired of this shit. I threw back my blankets and got up from the bed. I strode to the door, unlocked it, and pulled it open. Ayden and Lanie had shocked expressions as they looked at me. I doubt it was because they thought I wouldn't open up. It was probably due to the fact that my eyes were bloodshot and my hair was all kinds of crazy.

"Go away, Lanie." I tried to shut the door and she stopped me with her foot.

"No. Tell me what happened!"

I gripped the door frame so hard, I was surprised it didn't splinter under the force. "You want to know what happened? I'll tell you. It's none of your fucking business."

"Nate..." Ayden's tone told me he didn't lie he talking to Lanie that way. He's right, I shouldn't talk to her that way. But I was pissed and heartbroken and ashamed. And hungover. Not a good combination.

"It's okay, Ayden." Lanie gaze softened when she looked back at me. "I know that look, Nate. It's the same one you had the last time you ended it with her." Her voice dropped to a whisper. "Why? Why end it if you want to be with her? And don't try to deny it. I know how you feel about her."

I stared at her for a long while. I wanted to tell her to drop it. It wasn't her business. I wanted to tell her that it was betwen me and Karma. But it wasn't, was it? I couldn't even tell Karma the truth.

Lanie must have noticed the change in my deameanor. "Ayden, can you give us a sec?"

"Yeah," he said and kissed her on the cheek. "I'll be in the nursery if you need me."