19| Apology Not Accepted

"What the hell is this, Nathan?"

Even though I couldn't believe what I was looking at, I knew immediately that it was a re-creation of our first date. What the hell was he thinking? Nathan had made some stupid choices in his life; but this definitely takes the cake.

"I wanted to apologize for, you know, what happened with us."

I stared at him. "What?"

How the hell was this an apology?

"I'm sorry, Karma. I just wanted to-"

Needing some space, I turned away from him and walked out of the sliding doors onto the patio. I sat down on one of the lounge chairs and ran my hands through my hair. What the hell was happening right now? I couldn't handle this again. I remembered our first date clearly, and recreating it just reminded me of what I lost.

It reminded me of the months that I cried myself to sleep after I moved to Florida. It reminded me of the one thousand times I checked my phone to see if there was a missed call or text from him. It reminded me of a love that I thought was so pure and true, that it would last forever. But I was just a naive child back then.

There were so many things I wish I could forget about our relationship. But I couldn't forget. I've tried everything two erase him from my memory, but it was hopeless. For example, I would never forget that night when I woke up in that empty hotel room...

"Nathan?" I felt beside me in the bed. When I realized he wasn't next to me, I got up and started looking around the hotel room. "Nathan?"

He clearly wasn't here. Where could you have gone? He would usually stay in the bed with me until I woke up. I slipped on a robe before I went to grab my cell phone. Maybe he went to get ice or something, I thought to myself.

I grabbed my cell phone and quickly dialed his number. This wasn't like him. I frowned when it went straight to voicemail.

"Hey, this is Nate. Leave a message and I'll call you back."

"Nathan, where are you? I woke up and you were gone. And why is your phone off? Call me back. I love you."

I hung up the phone and went to wash off my face in the bathroom. When I met him at his house before our trip, he was acting different-almost nervous. I asked him if there was something bothering him, and he said he was just anxious for our trip.

We were originally supposed to take his car, but he changed his mind. That gave me an idea. Maybe he took my car to go get some food for us. I walked over to the nightstand and I saw my car keys sitting on top. Then my heart dropped.