31| Baby Mama Drama

My muscles ached and creaked as I stretched in the bed. Surprisingly, my leg didn't hurt as much as it usually did. I felt in the bed next to me for the most gorgeous brunette I've ever known. When I didn't feel Karma next to me, I sat up in the bed. I lifted my blanket. Yep, naked. I looked around the room. Her dress was still on the floor. Her purse was on my desk. Okay...last night definitely happened and I wasn't dreaming. She must be in the kitchen. 

Fuck. If she was in the kitchen, then she was probably talking to Lanie. If she was talking to Lanie...

"Goddammit." 

Lanie had to know that me and Karma slept together last night. She didn't even need to see Karma sneak in my room to know that. My little sister just had...ways. She was too fucking psychic for her own good. 

I had to admit, finding Karma in my room was definitely unexpected. I had never had birthday sex before with anyone. It was the best sex I've ever had. Mind-blowing. The most important part was the fact that it was amazing because it was Karma. She really was amazing. Ayden was right. I needed to figure out a way to be with her. I missed her every day since I made the mistake of leaving her. This was the first time since that happened that I wish I didn't listen to her mother. 

We would have been together this whole time—I knew that for a fact. We would have probably been married by now. But I fucked all that up. I needed to fix it. I needed to talk to Karma and try to see if there was a way we could be together. But what about her parents? I couldn't hide the truth from her. But I couldn't tell her that. Especially with her father's health being the way it is. 

Ugh, this was so confusing. I got up from the bed and did my usual morning routine. Once I slipped on some running pants, I opened my door and made my way to the kitchen. I grew even more confused when I walked into the empty space. Where the hell was Karma? Maybe she was in Lanie's room and they were talking. I debated whether or not I should go check. If they were talking, I would get yelled at from interrupting. From Lanie. 

Just as I made up my mind and started walking to her room, Lanie rounded the corner into the kitchen. She was holding little Nate and smiled when she saw me. 

"Hey!" She glanced around the kitchen. "Where did Karma go?"

"I was going to ask you that." 

Lanie shrugged. "She was just here. Someone knocked at the front door and she went to answer it for me because I had to get the baby." 

I took two steps in the direction of the front door when I nearly ran into...fucking motherfucker!

"Jules." 

She walked into the kitchen with a smile. Like nothing ever happened. She was also very pregnant. "Hey, Nate." She glared at Lanie, but didn't say anything to her before looking back at me. "I've missed you so much." 

I stepped back as she came forward and held my hands up. "What the hell are you doing here? And where is Karma?" 

Jules did not like me mentioning Karma's name. "The brunette who answered the door in your boxers and t-shirt? You latest conquest? She didn't like it when I told her I was carrying your baby, so she left." 

Holy fuck. What the hell is going on right now? Karma left? And she thought this was...

"That's not my kid, Jules. I haven't slept with you in almost a year." 

"Actually," she corrected me, "the last time we slept together was almost nine months ago. The last time you were here on leave. For Lanie's birthday." She rubbed her hand over her belly. "This is your baby."